My future hesitation with Rise - File Corrupted

Nov 07, 2017

Hey folks, 

I'm going to share my current experience. Work for a top 5 fortune 500 company and we've decided to select rise as a primary program. As we work on a multi-million dollar project using Rise with multiple teams, 3 lessons in a module just don't load. They ask to take control and it hangs.

Now my concern is this. One point of the cloud is protection from such issues. After numerous chats, QA is looking into it. Now not the best timing as we get set to present in 2 days, the 3 very lessons that are in limbo. In reality, this sort of thing can never happen with the cloud, it will kill software like this. Getting skeptical on this....

19 Replies
Chris Wirick
Interestingly enough, it was my "solid backup strategy" that was blamed by Articulate as a possible cause for the corruption. I keep all my development files in Dropbox for redundant local/online storage. I was told by Articulate not to do that. ???

I'd never before used a product that was compromised by using Dropbox. Not until I used Articulate 360. After my corruption issues, which caused a lot of non-billable re-work and professional embarrassment (sorry Mr. Client, I have to redo a bunch of work on my own dime, but our timeline will slip), I went to a very kludgy solution where I worked my files locally, saved, then uploaded a copy manually to Dropbox on a regular basis (no, that's NOT how online backup is supposed to work). Add to that the fact Storyline would crash on me on a fairly-frequent basis, again creating non-billable re-work, and the entire experience was a bit nightmarish. The client decided to go elsewhere for future projects, and how can I blame him? :(

Of note is the fact my file corruption issues did not entirely disappear after I stopped working them directly from Dropbox, nor after severing all Windows<>Mac connections within my Parallels VM (as also recommended by Articulate).

The corruption problem cost me a lot of $$$ at the time and potentially cost me a lot of $$$ in the future due to a lost client.
Matthew Bibby

Obviously, this doesn't help with Rise as there is no source file, but I trust that Articulate has a good backup strategy in place.

Well, like they say, once bitten twice shy. I've not yet used Rise, but I can say my trust level will not be very high, having to rely entirely on Articulate to maintain the integrity of my files. (And the OP's experience appears to confirm my fears.)

Chris Wirick

I’ve not used Hazel, I’ll check it out. I’m also Mac-based. 

I do use Time Machine for backups as well as Dropbox. The problem is when Time Machine backs up your virtual machine, it doesn’t seem to do it in a way that allows you easy access to individual files that reside on your VM. And Articulate told me to turn off all the sharing functions in Parallels, so I can’t store my files in a shared Mac/Windows directory (which would work fine with Time Machine).

I used to have Backblaze but thought I’d just use Dropbox for my offsite storage, since I was already paying for it. I also have a OneDrive account with my Office subscription and thought about trying to use that to redundantly back up my Dropbox files   .

I have always wanted a Drobo but have yet to part with the $$$ to get one.

I’m curious what about Articulate software makes it a no-go with Dropbox. As I mentioned, I’ve never had an issue with Dropbox-stored files for any other application. What makes Articulate stuff so delicate?

Justin Grenier

Great conversation, all!  It's an issue of both network latency and path length.

As in:  F:\My Projects\Today's Project\Long Project Name.story actually means \\MYDOMAIN\MYSERVER\MYSTAFF\MYDRIVE\MYPROFILE\My Projects\Today's Project\Long Project Name.story (and often much worse).  Long path names are really difficult for most applications to deal with, and while open, .story projects themselves are made up of many nested levels of organized content.

Matthew is correct that both Flash and Captivate have prohibited working from a network drive for quite a long time as well.

Chris Wirick
Justin Grenier

Great conversation, all!  It's an issue of both network latency and path length.

As in:  F:\My Projects\Today's Project\Long Project Name.story actually means \\MYDOMAIN\MYSERVER\MYSTAFF\MYDRIVE\MYPROFILE\My Projects\Today's Project\Long Project Name.story (and often much worse).  Long path names are really difficult for most applications to deal with, and while open, .story projects themselves are made up of many nested levels of organized content.

Matthew is correct that both Flash and Captivate have prohibited working from a network drive for quite a long time as well.

Yes, but in the case of Dropbox it should just be referencing the local file that resides on your hard drive. Dropbox may be syncing that file as a duplicate to an online location, but what difference should that make to Articulate?

Justin Grenier

Agreed, Chris.  Dropbox is a tougher nut to crack, and we're not exactly sure why we've seen it cause so many problems for folks.  Instinct says that it should help (not hurt) your backup strategy.

It could be that Dropbox isn't great at knowing when Storyline has a file open, and so it's causing damage by attempting the backup of an in-progress project.  ...or it could be vice-versa--that Storyline needs to do a better job of signaling that a file is in use so that other applications don't try to meddle with your content.  It could be something else entirely.  In any case, it's something we have an eye on, and we're always looking to improve if we can isolate the root cause!

McKesson User

Been around since the beginning of storyline and I have my own workflow. I migrated to rise for a number of reasons, one being cloud based. I keep a simple frame of mind, if I pay for a cloud service, it's their responsibility to keep it secure and safe. If it breaks, they fix it. My initial issue at the front of this was fixed within a few hours, kudos to the rise team.

Working with development files (i.e. AI files, storyline files, etc), I never store on a network. That business has corrupted an absurd amount of files in the past. So I do mid-point copies as backups throughout a day of processing. Needless to say, I have an 0 corruptions in the last five years.

Leslie Barrentine

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I'm running into the same issue with one of the courses I'm designing. It continually asks me to take control of something I'm apparently already in control of, I do, the tab name changes and I'm met with a blank screen. I honestly wouldn't mind even just deleting that lesson and making it again but it won't let me. When I'm previewing the course, once I get to that lesson (I've moved it to very end) this problem still comes up. Was there a user resolution for this or is contacting support the only solution? Thank you!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Leslie,

I'm so sorry you keep seeing the 'Take Control' message. You mentioned you ran into a blank lesson today – is this the first time that has happened? We had an issue in Rise 360 earlier today, and we saw similar problems on our end. 

I'm going to connect you with our Support team so we can get this sorted out as soon as possible. Keep an eye out for an email from one of our rockstar Engineers soon!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.