NEW IN RISE: Collapsing Sections

Jun 22, 2018

There’s a cool new feature in Rise that makes your courses even easier for learners to use: collapsing sections. Now learners can collapse and expand sections of the course outline in the sidebar to quickly see the structure of your course. Here’s how it looks:

NEW IN RISE: Collapsing Sections

We hope you’ll love this latest enhancement to the learner experience in Rise!

37 Replies
Irina Poloubessov

Dear Kelly,
If you do implement the closed sections from Craig's comment, please allow for the authors to control the default view (so that we can decide if we start the course with collapsed or opened sections for our learners). From our user feedback they prefer the menu be even more prominent, so we would like to allow this for them. Thank you!

David Kettle

I think having a way to end a section would be useful.

I have single lessons before and after a section and I want them to stay as single lessons in the navigation, but to end a section I have to add another section, even though I don't want the lessons after to be in a section

e.g. I want:

• Lesson 1 (standalone)
  • Section 1
    • Lesson 2 (section 1)
    • Lesson 3 (section 1)
  • End of section 1
  • Lesson 4 (standalone)

but currently I have to have:

• Lesson 1 (standalone)
  • Section 1
  • Lesson 2 (section 1)
  • Lesson 3 (section 1)
  • Section 2 (name=space, so looks blank)
  • Lesson 4 (section 2)
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Neha!

Learners can expand or collapse section headers in the sidebar menu. There's no setting to turn on this behavior – it happens automatically! 

To test it yourself, add a section header to the course menu. Then, preview the course, and open the first lesson. In the sidebar menu, click the arrow to the left of the section header to expand and collapse the section. 

Aaron Max Abramowicz
David Kettle

I think having a way to end a section would be useful.

I have single lessons before and after a section and I want them to stay as single lessons in the navigation, but to end a section I have to add another section, even though I don't want the lessons after to be in a section

e.g. I want:

• Lesson 1 (standalone)
  • Section 1
    • Lesson 2 (section 1)
    • Lesson 3 (section 1)
  • End of section 1
  • Lesson 4 (standalone)

but currently I have to have:

• Lesson 1 (standalone)
  • Section 1
  • Lesson 2 (section 1)
  • Lesson 3 (section 1)
  • Section 2 (name=space, so looks blank)
  • Lesson 4 (section 2)

Is this possible? I'm looking to do this same thing.

Kristin Peters

Currently, when a learner launches a Rise course the sections are either "all open" or "all closed" - and all closed means that the sections are not visible at all to the learner unless they click on the hamburger menu. Is there any way for the sections to begin as collapsed upon launch, and then let the learner control what gets expanded - similar to the way the Accordion block works today? Ideally, upon launch, the default view would look like this: 

I see others posts' here asking for something similar, but I wanted to explicitly ask about showing the collapsed view upon launch. This is about giving the learner control and access to what they need to consume when they need to consume it, and reducing the chance they are cognitively overwhelmed when they initially launch the course. If it's at all possible today to execute this, please tell me how. If not, please work on this soon. Thanks.