Next/Previous buttons in Process block missing a role and accessible label

Sep 01, 2021

Hello! Our company partnered with Deque to identify where we can improve accessibility for our learners. Some of the courses we shared with Deque were developed in Rise 360.

One of the items they flagged was the Process block - in particular, the Next and Previous buttons. Per their results:

"...the Next and Previous buttons are missing a role and an accessible label.

"RULE: The name, role, value, states, and properties of user interface components MUST be programmatically determinable by assistive technologies.

"Fix NAME issue with any of these:

1. Use the innertext of the <button> or role="button" element

"Fix ROLE issue with any these:

1. Use a native HTML <button> element."

I'm not sure how to do this in Rise. I'm guessing this is part of the code that is created when we publish our Rise 360 courses. Is anything in the works as part of Articulate's accessibility journey to address this?

6 Replies
Hazel Bartolome

Hi Kathy! Thank you so much for this! The process block is one of those interactions that still isn't 100% WCAG 2.1 compliant, and it is definitely in the roadmap!

This article has in-depth details about what we've been doing to improve accessibility in Rise 360. Also, this article describes how Rise 360 output supports Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Section 508 accessibility standards.

Elisabeth Huggett

Hi, wondering if there have been any updates on this. I love the process block but we have also had feedback from our accessibility advisor that it is not navigable for screen reader users. It would be a shame to not be able to use this block - are there any updates on when this feature will be made accessible? Thanks!