Passing variables between blocks in Rise

Mar 03, 2020

Hi! I frequently build reflection and notes portlets in Storyline, using JavaScript (pasted below for reference). In this case, I'm attempting to add a reflection portlet on one page and a notes box on another page (separate Storyline files dropped into one Rise course) that speak to each other. My goal is that when the user clicks "send," the notes box calls up the reflection variable and the notes variable to send both in one e-mail.

This works in Storyline... Anyone had success making it work in Rise with Storyline blocks? (So far it's not reading the OnboardingReflection variable when I click send on the Notes block.)

var player = GetPlayer();
var useremail = player.GetVar("email");
var subject = "Life Cycle of a 401(k) Notes"
var notes = player.GetVar("notes");
var reflection1 = player.GetVar("OnboardingReflection");

var mailto_link =
'mailto:' + useremail +
'?subject=' + subject +
'&body=' + "My Onboarding Reflection:%0d%0A" + reflection1 + "%0d%0A%0d%0AMy Notes:%0d%0A" + notes;

win = window.open(mailto_link, 'emailWin');
7 Replies
Diane Morris

This is great information but I do not understand javascript. It would be awesome if Articulate could put a setting in Rise for individual content sections that prevents users from being able to scroll further down to see other content until the interaction in the current block is complete. I would like to provide a screenshot of the card sorting activity for users to see the answers after going through the sort. When I tried to do this, the user was able to simply scroll past the sorting activity to see the answers.

If anyone has an idea of how to achieve my desired results, I am all ears! Thank you.

OWEN HOLT

Did you try the "complete the block above" divider?  I haven't tried this with a sort activity in Rise specifically but in theory, it should work.

*Edit* I just tried it and it worked fine with sorting.  Simply insert the "continue" divider right below your sorting block. Click "Edit" and then Click the "Completion type" drop down menu. Select "Complete the block directly above" as your option.