Passing variables from LMS into an embed

May 11, 2021

I'm trying to build embeds (Multimedia->Embed) that would generate user-specific content.

For this to work, I need to pass some user identifier from LMS to the embed's URL/iframe code. It could be passed as a query param, JS variable, ... anything really, I'm flexible.

Has anyone figured out a way to do something like this?

7 Replies
Jan Dusek

I want to create virtual lab inside a Rise course. Essentially an iframe that'd display a command line powered by a docker container. The container instance would be user-specific though, so I need to pass information to that iframe about the user that's currently logged in and about some of their env variables.

Fabian Koeninger

Same here! I'm using Typeform to include a form where the user can upload an image. With typeform it's possible to add hidden fields that can be used in a query string to store the information, something like this typeformurl#userid=xxxxx&firstname=xxxxx

I created an html site with the typeform and the script to get the username from the lms. It does work great as a webobject in storyline, but it does not work as an iframe in rise as the iframe is denied accessing the lms. 

I guess I would have to first store the username in Rise and then pass it to the iframe. I haven't figured out a solution so far, any hint or suggestion is highly appreciated!

Fabian Koeninger

I think I could find a way, not sure if this would help anyone but in case that someone faces a similar challenge.

The downside with this approach is, that the webobject and the scorm package have to be uploaded to the same domain in order to use localStorage.

First step is creating the html file for the iframe in Rise. The html file would contain the follwoing script:

<script>

var iframeUserName = window.localStorage.getItem('localUserName');

</script>
With localStorage.getItem I can access data from the parent window, where I can get the LMS data. 

After uploading the html file to the server I'll paste the url to Rise (Multimedia->Embed) and then publish the course for LMS.

I unzip the scorm package and open the index.html. Inside the scormcontent folder I go to the very end of the file and paste the following snippet before </body>:

<script>

/* this function looks for the lms API */

function findLMSAPI(win) {

// look in this window

if (win.hasOwnProperty("GetStudentID")) return win;

// all done if no parent

else if (win.parent == win) return null;

// climb up to parent window & look there

else return findLMSAPI(win.parent);

}

var lmsAPI = findLMSAPI(this);

// get the user ID and user name from the LMS

var userID = lmsAPI.GetStudentID();

var userName = lmsAPI.GetStudentName();

// store the user name and user ID to localStorage

window.localStorage.setItem('localUserName', userID);

window.localStorage.setItem('localUserID', userName);

</script>

It is important that the parameters in setItem match getItem from the iframe match.

That is my current approach. Any comment, improvement, idea is highly appreciated.