Password protection

Jun 20, 2017

Hello :) I've just started using Rise and was hoping there was a feature to add password protection prior to the user beginning a course?

The course will be available to all on the LMS but i only want users with a password to access it.

Alternatively, is there a way for a user to enter their name (rather than a password, i.e text entry field), prior to progressing?

Thanks in advance.

27 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Stephanie, you bet! Adding a password to your Rise course is simple--just follow these steps:

• From the course main page, click Share
  • Click the Set a password checkbox
  • Type your password, and click OK

Keep in mind the Share link password won't impact your LMS settings. Can you tell me more about how you envisioned the password protection to work?

And since you're interested in capturing the learner's name, that's likely an option available to you through your LMS. You could also embed a Google Form in Rise using the Embed/URL block or lesson type. Here's an example of what that could look like!

Crystal Horn

Hi Antoni!  I think you make a really good use case for using an learning management system where you can add and track users and assign individual passwords.  Do you have a learning management system?

The Rise Share URL can be password protected, and it's just one password for that content piece. 

Carla Spencer

I have a Rise document on our agency's internet page for our staff so I added a password to it.  However when going to the password screen and after entering the password, the "screen" bounces. How can you fix this?  I tried in several different browsers with the same results.

To observe, go to: http://adminsvcs.nv.gov/Training/Training-Home/  Click on the ASD Staff Only link in the bottom right corner.  The password is:  leftshark

I appreciate any help you can provide to me regarding this issue. Thank you!

Carla Spencer

Hi Alyssa:

Yes, that is exactly what I am experiencing and I am wondering if there is some kind of setting or something that will alleviate that bounce?

Thank you

Carla

Carla L. Spencer | Training Officer II | Administrative Services Division
Work Hours: Monday-Thursday 7:00am-5:30pm
State of Nevada | Department of Administration
100 N. Stewart Street, Carson City, NV 89701-3716
T: (775) 684-4119 | F: (775) 684-0275 | E: carla.spencer@admin.nv.gov

This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any review, dissemination or copying of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of the original message.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Carla, 

There isn't a way to turn off the bounce right now in Rise, but I could see how that may be distracting so I'll pass it along to our team. 

I also just wanted to let you know that replying via email will include your signature. You can edit out your contact information from your post if you'd like!  

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Mary,

Are you going to use the Share  link to distribute the course, or will you export using the No LMS - Web Only option? The Share option is the set up where you'd be able add the password option. If you're looking to upload the exported output to your own website you'll want to look at what settings they have for password options. 🙂

Carla Spencer

Ashley:

Thanks for the info on both fronts. I am not protective of my contact info however if you can let me know about the “bounce” as soon as you have a “fix” for it that would be fantastic.

Have a great day!

Carla

Carla L. Spencer | Training Officer II | Administrative Services Division
Work Hours: Monday-Thursday 7:00am-5:30pm
State of Nevada | Department of Administration
100 N. Stewart Street, Carson City, NV 89701-3716
T: (775) 684-4119 | F: (775) 684-0275 | E: carla.spencer@admin.nv.gov

This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any review, dissemination or copying of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of the original message.

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Thomas. Thanks for giving these steps a try!

Let's see if we can nail down why the Enter Password option isn't launching:

• Does this happen with any Rise course you export, or just one course in particular?
  • Could you share the zipped export package with me by clicking here? I'll give it a test in SCORM Cloud and let you know what I find!
Katie Riggio

Thanks for sending in your project, Thomas! Just sent you a reply in the case. ☺️

I'm also sharing my findings here, in case someone else stumbles upon this conversation:

When password protecting the Rise Share link, keep in mind that this function won't carry over when exporting the project to LMS, Web, or PDF. In this case, the LMS might have a setting that allows to password protect content. Hopefully folks using SumTotal can chime in with tips!

PW

Appreciate you bringing this scenario up, and my apologies for the confusion on my part. Hope that helps!