PDF filename changes when downloading from Rise

Aug 17, 2017

Hi there,

We have noticed that when downloading a pdf document (from the pdf multimedia block) the filename of the downloaded document is different than the filename of the document when it is in Rise.  See attachment for screenshots.  Is this supposed to happen?  If so, what is the rationale in changing the filename?  We would really appreciate it, if someone can shed some light on this for us.  Thank in advance and have a wonderful day!

Pinned Reply
104 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Jacinta! Happy to work this through with you, if you need faster help, you can share the file privately with us by opening a case on this link here.  Can you help me with a few more details?

• Where is your Rise 360 course hosted? A web server, LMS, or somewhere else? 
  • What version of Chrome were you using when you noticed this problem? 
Jacinta Mahady

Thanks,

I have shared the file via the link.

I am using the following version (it updated as I opened it to check but
the issue is still occurring) Google Chrome is up to date
Version 90.0.4430.72 (Official Build) (64-bit)

It is being hosted on an LMS via SCORM file but it also occurs via link,
and even when I download it within rise if I am editing.

Gary Krueger

I'm experiencing the same thing when the Rise course is in Moodle but also on rise.articulate.com/author. I notice that when the PDF opens in a new Chrome browser window (from rise.articulate/...) that the extra 16 characters in the filename match part of the name of the PDF in the exported Scorm file (inside the scormcontent/assets folder). When I download the PDF from Moodle it also has those same 16 characters, with additional 16 characters in front that are different from the first 16 characters in the exported Scorm file. Hope that makes sense and hope it helps to debug this issue.

Tracy Smith

Any fix on this yet? The current Rise I'm working in added all of these characters (CaHkZeGrEpyXj48v-) in front the filename after downloading. It makes it confusing. Did I download xyz.pdf or did I download CaHkZeGrEpyXj48v-xyz.pdf?

Any workarounds or naming conventions found to help? What's the status?

Ann-Marie Pickles

Hi 

I am creating a Rise course with the download file block and I am experiencing the same issue. The filename in the download folder has extra junk characters e.g. _whf-Jm-p8v9jOVf_kU97xddocoTeKxJj and then the filename.

We are using Totara as our LMS, and the Rise package is saved as a SCORM 1.2 package. I am viewing the SCORM package on Google Chrome 92.

Can you please let me know if there have been any updates to this download junk character issue?

Thanks

Ann-Marie

Bianca Dragu

Team, it's been 4 years since this post was created, and you still don't have any updates on this issue? It's a super annoying bug.

And considering multiple people using different LMSs and browsers are signaling this, it's clear it's a product bug, not an issue with the platforms we're hosting the courses on. One of the many.

Adam Zollo

Having something similar as well.

I've had a number of courses where there are two exercises with similar names. One is "Name of exercise_Exercise" and the other is "Name of exercise_Solution". There has been a few instances where these files seemingly become flipped. When you click to download the solution you get the exercise and when you click to download the exercise, you get the solution.

It's very weird and not explainable by human error, as Rise names the files based on the original file's name AND we can check the files and their history to see they were always correctly labeled.

And to be clear, this has happened multiple times across different courses. When clients report it, I always find it is messed up in our version of Rise as well.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Adam. I'm sorry it seems like Rise 360 output is confusing your files. I've opened a case for you with our team. You should get a confirmation email with an upload link.

To start, please share the following using that link:

• An image of the editing panel for each attachment block showing the file name like this:
  • The exported output of your course

We'll keep everything confidential and delete those files when we're done troubleshooting. Thanks!

Piero Carra

I am truly amazed by the non-sense staff's responses to an old and critical problem. The rename of all assets (pdf, png, etc) is generated in the Export phase by Rise and does NOT depend  of what LMS, browsers, etc. is used.

Just look at the “assets” folder in the exported course to understand.

It is clearly a feature of Rise360, probably to uniquely identify each asset, even if loaded with the same name, but in the case of pdf downloaded files it causes obvious and big problems for users.

Why does Articulate not give a SERIOUS answer to this problem and keep asking useless things, while knowing very well the cause?