Problems getting Rise to work in Success Factors LMS

Mar 07, 2019

Hi, I've just completed my first Rise course for a client, and we're having problems getting it to work in their LMS (Success Factors). We've exported as SCORM 2004 4th edition. The course has ten lessons which contain audio files and various 'blocks' but no video. There is a quiz at the end which we're using to track completion. I have a ticket open with your support desk but the response has been slow and not on point, so I was hoping someone may be able to help me here? The main issues are:

1) The course is not resuming at the correct point within a lesson. It takes the user back to the start of the lesson, even though the lesson is showing as partially complete on the left-hand navigation. This seems to be an issue with Rise rather than the client's LMS, as it's happening when I test in SCORM Cloud too (all SCORM formats). My lessons are quite long and segmented with 'Continue' buttons, so returning to the correct point is really important to avoid lots of scrolling.

2)The course is freezing and crashing at a particular point about three quarters through. It can be remedied by exiting and going back in again. The course file is quite large (~90MB). Right now I'm working on ways to get the file size down to see if that helps. The main bulk is in the audio files, so I've extracted them, run them through Adobe Media Encoder and re-zipped the SCORM package following a recommendation from someone on this forum. I've got the overall size down to 50MB. I'll report back.

3)The course is not generating reports in the LMS. We're tracking completion based on quiz result and the LMS needs to record passed/failed but this is not happening. I don't know why. We're trying the various status options one at a time to see if it makes a difference (passed/incomplete etc). Has anyone encountered this problem and what did you do to fix it please?

Thanks!

15 Replies
Kathryn Raybould

Hi Allison, thanks for replying. I have actually already contacted your support team but I have just been directed to an article which does not relate to my issue and does not solve the problem for me. I have let the person know but as time is a factor I thought I would ask the community too.

I think the reporting issue is also replicated in the SCORM Cloud. I see the result in the 'Sandbox' pane but nothing in the 'Reportage' pane (see attached image).

Allison LaMotte

Hi Kathryn,

That seems like a logicial conclusion, however I can't definitively confirm that that's the case. It looks like our support team is taking a closer look, so hopefully they'll be able to help you get to the bottom of this issue.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Robin Pearn

Did your question #3 get resolved? I'm having issues with the Sample Rise 360 course (the Health and Wellness one created by Articulate) not completing on Successfactors. I've tried all of the options (e.g. pass/fail) to mark the completion of the course but nothing it working. They all mark as complete in Scorm Cloud.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Robin. Are you noticing this behavior specifically with Chrome or Edge browsers?

If so, Chrome has deprecated a technology that was used by many LMSs to allow a course to communicate back to the LMS when the course window is closed. If your LMS hasn't upgraded their system, or if you're using an older version of your LMS that doesn't include an update to address this change, the course cannot communicate progress or completion properly. This causes learners to start over from the beginning instead of resuming a course or recording completion after they close the browser window. You'll see this in Chrome and Edge.

Please reach out to SuccessFactors and find out if they have released an update to address the Chrome changes. If you need support from us with the technical details, please let us know by starting a case with us here.

Kathryn Raybould

Hi Mata,

Yes, we got the course working in the end through trial and error. The solutions to the three issues we were having a couple of years ago were:

1. Rise courses don't resume at the exact point within a lesson where the learner left off, only at the start of the lesson - it was just something we had to live with
  2. The freezing/crashing issue was resolved by changing the order of the lessons - I have no idea why that should have worked, but it did! It was this rather than reducing the file size that worked for us
  3. We eventually got the course and LMS to talk to one another with the following export settings: SCORM 2004, 4th edition, track using quiz result, passed/failed, exit course link off

Hope this helps - good luck!

Mata Henry

We think that videos more than 5 mins long can create timeout issues - seems like SuccessFactors considers videos as black holes and user is considered as being inactive and cause timeout/freezing issues.
Its seems the same for storyline items too. If the storyline isn't actively send scorm data to SF within a timeframe, it starts the timeout countdown.
We've therefore adjusted the config settings and it seems to have worked.

Strange that you've had to move lessons - is there a way that you arrange lessons and what goes within them that makes a difference?