Resume video where the user left off in Rise

Aug 02, 2018

Is there a way to resume a video where a user last left off when the video has been uploaded into Rise (not using embed codes)? I know I can lock down the navigation so they can't fast forward the video or move further into the training module until they have finished the video, but I'm trying to allow users to resume where they left off in case they couldn't finish the video in one sitting. Right now it looks like if they leave mid course that they do not have to re-complete portions of the module they already completed, but it doesn't capture where they left off on the latest video they were watching so they are forced to re-watch the video in it's entirety. I believe I can do this in Storyline, but I would prefer to utilize only Rise features (I would rather not embed a storyline interaction into Rise.)

21 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Christopher! 

That's a great question. I put together a quick sample course that includes a video lesson so you can see how a video will resume. If you watch a portion of the video then exit the course, the video will resume where you left off.

Click here to give it a test!

Are you also using a video lesson, or did you include a video using a multimedia block?

Christopher Lawrence

Hi there.  Thanks for your help! It doesn't seem to remember where I left off within the timeline of the video. It allowed me to scrub forward and backwards on my first view and then again upon return. Also, I left the video midway and then when I returned it started at the start of the video. In my scenario, I'm attempting to lock down the video so you can't fast forward on first view, but you can once they have viewed that portion of the video (i.e. if you watched 1.3 minutes of a 2 minute video and then left... upon return it would start at minute 1.3 and the user could rewind and fast forward up to 1.3 minutes.)

I've tried this with both video blocks and video lessons. Both with no luck as of now.

Christopher Lawrence

IE 11.

Also, here is a link to the course I'm referencing... don't judge how boring it is. We are just testing functionality at this point :)

We are looking to have:

1. The user can't scrub the play bar on first view

2. Upon return the user can rewind and fast forward sections they have previously completed

3. If the user exits the course mid video and then returns they can watch the video from where they left off.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for sharing a link and a bit more detail on what you'd like to happen! 

Testing your link, what I'm seeing is that #1 is working that the user can't scrub it on the first view, and once the video finishes they can replay and scrub again while viewing that same lesson. 

For # 2, I noticed that if they complete the video, they can return to the lesson and the "Continue" button is accessible and the learner could navigate to the next lesson, but the video is still set to disable forward seeking. That's an overall setting for the video, but it does behave differently in a Video block than a Video lesson - so I'll share this with my team to confirm which way it should act. 

For #3, the Review and Share links for a Rise course don't have any bookmarking/resume data tracked. Bookmarking is often a feature of the Learning Management System (LMS) where you'd host the exported Rise content. 

Also, it looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Christopher,

No worries - glad I let you know!

I checked with my team and confirmed that disabling forward seeking and using a continue block will work independently of one another. On a revisit to that lesson, you should see that the user can advance as they've met the continue requirements, but they will need to start the video over again as the seeking has been disabled. 

Hope that helps clarify, and since you're hoping for a different behavior it's always a good idea to share it as a feature request!

Michelle Hochberg

Hi,

We tested this feature extensively and found that since the update on October 16th, there's no suspend data being sent from SCORM to the LMS. It used to do so. I already contacted customer support for help and for some reason we were told it wasn't possible because "Rise does not have access to the video source's API."

We monitor this behavior closely and Rise used to send the suspend data while the video was playing (prior to October 16th).

This is an important feature because learners get confused that they have to re-watch a video again when the lesson is gated, resulted in numerous customer service calls.

I hope this helps,

Michelle

Spencer S

Hello,

So I understand that Rise cannot bookmark a video to save where a user left off, but is there an alternative solution to get a video to save it's place? Would I have to export the video from Storyline? I know if I upload a video directly to my LMS, the video will save the spot where I left off. So when I revisit the LMS, the video would start wherever I exited the system. 

Is there anything that I can do in Articulate 360 to get my videos to save their place? It's not a problem when designing my videos to only be 3 to 5 minutes, but sometimes there may be a lecture that is an hour long. It makes for a frustrating user experience having to remember where you left off. Any Advice would be much appreciated!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.