RISE 360: Does anyone have trouble with videos stopping when loaded to a server?

Dec 07, 2020

Our training videos have been loaded to a system server here at our company and the users access them using the link they access in our training site.  We use chrome mainly for our system.  

We're getting a file corruption message "the media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support".   The exported files are not corrupt. When i put the course in "Review" and give that link to a user, the videos run to the end just fine. 

I've given this issue to AA, but they tell me it's a server issue. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.  Our system team does not seem to know what to do to fix this.  

Thanks for anything you can suggest!

Kim 

7 Replies
Chino Navarro

Hi Kim,

I am sorry to hear about what you are experiencing; not to worry, I am here to help.

I want to get a good grasp of the scope of the problem. Can you answer the following questions?
1. Does the issue occur on all courses from the system server?
2. Does this affect all users who access the course?
3. Does the problem happen to all videos in the course?

Can you try the following and check if the issue persists?

1. Duplicate the course in Rise 360 and upload it to the System server.
2. Create a test course, insert a video block (Don't change the video in the video block), then upload that course into your System server. 
3. Check the file name of your videos on your computer for any special characters and remove them. Then upload the videos into another test course and upload it to your system server.

Kim Markey

Chino
In answer to your questions:
1 and 3. Yes it's occurring on all courses, but only those videos that last more than 5 minutes. Our training group is the only one I know of that puts the videos on a server. All others Rise 360 users that I know of use our corporate LMS (not an option for us)
2. Yes. This issue is occurring to those at corporate as well as those who are out in distributor offices in the field.

I am exporting the course again and will let the developers upload that new link to our server. I checked and the file name does not have any special characters. Since the video in the Video block is only 20 seconds, I'm pretty sure it would not stop. It appears any video over 5 minutes will stop.
Kim

[E-Learning Heroes]<https://urldefense.com/v3/

Chino Navarro

Thank you for the update.

You could also try and upload your Rise course into SCORM Cloud, the industry-standard testing engine. 

The following video tutorial demonstrates how to use SCORM Cloud with Articulate content:

https://community.articulate.com/series/learning-management-systems-lmss/articles/how-to-troubleshoot-your-lms-with-scorm-cloud

If the issue also occurs in SCORM Cloud, please open a case here, and our support engineers will take a closer look at your course.

If the issue doesn't occur in SCORM Cloud, then it does look like the issue is with the System server. We can defer to the community and see if anyone else experienced the same issue.

Kim Markey

Chino
I will try the scorm cloud thing when I get a minute. Our developers looked at this yesterday and they determined there is nothing wrong with the server, but I will try anyway.

I just want to make a couple points:

1. The videos within our Rise 360 courses PLAY, however they stop at about the 5:30 mark
2. We ask our users to use Chrome or Firefox as the browsers for our system. So it's bad that the videos will not play in their entirety in those browsers but they play in an old browser like IE.

Thanks for your help so far.

With that, here 's what we've tried so far.

General things we've tried

1. We met with our developers

a. Opened the file for a course that was loaded to our server. Then played the videos and they did not produce an error.

b. Developers said there is nothing wrong with the link in the server and nothing wrong with the MP4 videos themselves.

c. No solution was arrived at other than to speculate that there has to be some setting in Chrome that is making the videos stop about 5 minutes in.

2. Put link in IE and none of the videos stopped due to the file corruption error or any other error

3. However, I'm not sure how much of a pain it would be to the users to install IE if they don't have it. Then once they get it, they have to copy the link, open IE and put the link in. Seems pretty awkward and ironic since we ask them to use Chrome or Firefox as their browsers.

a. Intro Video -ran fine 22 min

b. Surgery scheduling videos - ran fine (both of them) 8min total

c. Sourcing inventory video -ran fine 8:32

d. Adding Usage video - ran fine 3:40

e. Reconciliation, billing, restock video- ran fine 13:40

f. Case loan return - 3:14

4. In Chrome: I noticed that on the initial first run of a video that is longer than 5 minutes, the video stops at about 5:30 give or take some seconds.

a. On the second run of the intro OSS video, I fast forwarded the video to 4:50 and then it ran until 9:32 when it stopped again. So it ran for about 4 more minutes.

b. On the third run of the intro OSS video, I fast forwarded it to 9:00 and it ran for another 4 minutes to just past the 13 minute mark

c. On the fourth run of the intro OSS video, I ran it from the beginning to see where it would stop this time and it stopped at 5:30 again.

d. So my question is why are these videos only running for 5:30 or 4 minutes when you fast forward?

These came from Chris's suggestions on the ticket (INC1777257) (Chris is one of our developers)

I have been able to successfully play these videos multiple times in Internet Explorer. There seems to be some kind of compatibility issue with Chrome.
Below are a list of things to try to fix the issue. I pulled the list from this website: https://www.stellarphotorecoverysoftware.com/blog/fixed-error-the-video-playback-was-aborted-due-to-a-corruption-problem/#:~:text=The%20online%20video%20error%20%2D'video,the%20cookies%20and%20cache%20data.
These did not seem to make a difference for me, but may be worth a try.

Fix for Error: '... playback was aborted due to a corruption problem ...'

How to fix video playback error in Chrome

Method 1: Disable Hardware acceleration in Chrome (videos still stopped )
1. On the extreme right, click Menu. Go to Settings.
2. Click Show advanced settings, scroll down, and select System.
3. Uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available checkbox.
4. Restart Google Chrome.

Method 2: Reset the Chrome settings (videos still stopped)
1. Open Chrome web browser.
2. At the top-right, click on the three dots icon and select Settings.
3. Click Show advanced settings.
4. Under Reset browser settings, click Reset browser
5. In the dialog box, click Reset.

Method 3: Open Chrome in Safe Mode (videos still stopped)
2. Click on three dots icon on the top-right and choose New Incognito Window.
This will open a new Chrome window, which is without the add-ons and extensions.

Method 4: Restore default theme (videos still stopped)
2. At the top-right, click on three dots and select Settings.
3. Click on Default Browser.
4. On the right pane, select Make Default.

Now try viewing your video again in the browser to see if the video playing error is resolved.
End Note
The online video error -'video playback was aborted due to a corruption problem error,' is usually resolved through simple hacks like refreshing the web browser; playing the video in a different browser; deleting the cookies and cache data. But when these ways fail, try other troubleshooting methods mentioned in this post. If the video file itself is corrupt, then take help of a professional video repair software such as Stellar Repair for Video. But for that, the video must be located in your local drive or media. We recommend a free trial of the software to see how it works.

These came from Adobe articulate Leaning Heros Staff:
[cid:image001.jpg@01D6CE2F.64C11AD0]

1. Does the issue persist in incognito mode? Yes
2. Does clearing Cache and Cookies help? No
3. Uncheck "Use Hardware Acceleration" (Menu>Settings>Show Advanced Settings> System Menu) Did this and ran the videos...still stopped
4. Try resetting the chrome browser Videos still stopped
5. Try creating a new user profile on Chrome (not a viable option to ask the users to do)

[Zimmer Biomet - The Power of Us]

Kim Markey
Senior Trainer
574-371-9969 Direct
574-306-7236 Mobile
kim.markey@zimmerbiomet.com

[http://sample.fai2.com/zb-signatures/ZBLogo.png]

Kim Markey

Chino
I was just viewing the video “How to troubleshoot your LMS” for using Scorm cloud with Articulate content. I do an export from Articulate to the Web, does this still apply or is there something else I could use for trouble shooting a web export?

After I get a zip file from the export, I then add the file link to our server which produces a new link that I add to an article in Zen Desk. Zen Desk is tied to our system and houses all of our documentation and our training courses. The user accesses the course by clicking a “Help” link in our system, which sends the user to the Zen Desk platform. See screen shots below.

This is what the user sees when they click Help and Training Courses: the course in question is course 1, OSS. However all of our courses are experiencing the same issue.

[cid:image001.jpg@01D6CE43.285A1010]

When the OSS Course Content link is clicked, the user accesses the article in Zen Desk and the link there calls the course from the server.

[cid:image002.jpg@01D6CE43.285A1010]

As I stated earlier, the videos PLAY they just stop playing at a certain point if they are over 5 minutes long.

Again,
Thanks for your help!
Kim

[Zimmer Biomet - The Power of Us]

Kim Markey
Senior Trainer
574-371-9969 Direct
574-306-7236 Mobile
kim.markey@zimmerbiomet.com

[http://sample.fai2.com/zb-signatures/ZBLogo.png]

Chino Navarro

Hi Kim,

I am sorry but I can't see your attached screenshots, they appear to be pasted screenshots in an email and appear as links in the post. I also noticed that your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if you would like by clicking Edit beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

It looks like you were previously in touch with Jose one of our support engineers. He previously sent you a link to your course in AWS, were you able to test if the issue happens to that course?

SCORM Cloud is for testing courses for LMS distribution. You would need to export your Rise course for LMS. It seems you are exporting the course for web distribution for your server but you can still give it a shot and see if the issue persists there as well.