Rise 360 HTML export, javascript API

Jun 19, 2019

We're starting to look at Rise360 to build eLearning courses. We want to be able to export these as HTML and include into our platform using an iFrame. We'd also like to be able to track when certain parts of the learning has been accessed. Is there any kind of javascript API embedded into the learning, perhaps events are fired when learning content is viewed that we can hook into and use to track?

I haven't been able to find any docs related to any of this.

Thanks in advance

14 Replies
Steven Oddy

Hi Alyssa,

Thank you for this, I'm aware that we can export as web only, we've done this and got hosted on AWS S3 so that part is all good. The question was more referring to the javascript API part? Once we have the exported web version of the course, how do we tap into what the learner has viewed?

Thanks

Steve

Dave Cox

Hi Crystal,

As a corporate developer, we always have the concern of backing up files for future updates. We don't always know who will do those backup, and the players often change as people come and go. Therefore we need the ability to download the source files, and all assets to a repository where we keep them for future development activities. The person who performs an update may be a new person with the company, or might not even know the original developers, so we can't depend on the ability to copy a file from one developer to another. What we need is the ability to download the entire contents from one developer to the repository. Then at a later time a different developer would need to upload to their account to continue development for any required updates. Instructional design is a very volatile profession, and many developers are only short time contractors, that move around a lot, so there is high turn over of developers.

bobby garcia
Matthew Bibby
The beauty of Tin Can is that the content can be stored wherever you want (e.g. S3) and will still be able to send the messages back to the LRS.

Matthew, what I'm looking to do is build a course that would be launched from an assigned laptop that the user would use daily on an as-needed basis and be able to keep an eye on their own progress. Would Tin Can be able to store their progress locally so that the user can at least see the sections that they've completed?

bobby garcia

Dave, this sounds a lot like an archiving issue that team leaders should be keeping track of. Before developers get out the door, they should be saving their files (course dev, images, audio, storyboards, etc.) for the next developer to take over. But even while their developing, there should be a naming convention in place for all of these files to minimize confusion during turnover.

For example, rather than a filename like: voiceover_introduction_and_learning_objectives.mp4, I would use something like: M01T01S01_intro.mp4 to be the audio for Module 1, Task 1, Slide 1; my Storyline file would be named M01T01S01_mm-dd-yy and renamed each day for backup purposes. Speaking of which, keeping the latest file in a shared Dropbox would keep the main working file from being on only one person's computer causing headaches if that person is off one day, or is not expected to return, so someone else can download it and continue the work.

I would think that making this standard practice for the developers, would be the "ability to download source files and all assets" that you're looking for, yes? I know it's been over 8 months since your post, so hopefully you've already done this.

Dave Cox

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your response.

No, what you describe, we already do. What we need is the ability to download and save copies of the source code to save for future development. We also need be to able to store the completed project for versioning and compliance purposes. 

This is done easily with Storyline, as we retain copies of all files. But with Rise, we can't download and save the code to our local server for future use.

For that reason, we've had to restrict our use of Articulate 360 to just Storyline. We can't develop couses in Rise, as this create a compliance and versioning issue.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.