Rise 360 - Media Could Not Be Loadedeither because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported

Aug 21, 2019

Every time that I place a video in a block on Rise 360, after exporting the content, I get a message upon viewing in my LMS that "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported." I'm loading standard mp4 files, under 200 MB (when the stated limit is 5 GB). 

I've tried multiple browsers - my default Chrome, IE 11, Edge, and Safari and all are experiencing the same issue. I can see the video when I preview my Rise course or share it from the Articulate site, but not once I've exported the course and uploaded it to my LMS. 

Can anyone help me? Thank you.

58 Replies
Lea Agato

Hi Tiffany, I'm sorry to hear you're getting the same error.  I can see that you've submitted a support case and my colleague Shiela is working on this case. She sent you an email requesting additional information. Let me know here if you haven't received any emails from our support team so we can check if there's an issue with our emails.

Kevin Maples

I'm having this same issue. I've had video files in use in 4 separate Rise Review files for over a year that have worked with no issue, and now I'm getting the same playback error "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported." One of the courses I re-encoded the video to an even lower bit rate to make the file size smaller, reloaded and the Review link now works, but doing the same for others is not fixing the issue. No clue why they've worked fine for a year and now are no longer working. 

Megan Ferraro

My company has never had this issue until yesterday.  Rise courses that had been available for months are now having an issue with some of the videos.  They are populating the same error as this chain pertains to and when we removed any special characters, they started working again.

Did something change in the past few days that would make these videos go from working to not working?  While the fix of removing the special characters worked, if there isn't a larger solution to this, we will need to review large amounts of content on our end if we now need to ensure none of the mp4s in our Rise 360 courses have special characters in the file name.

Lea Agato

Hi Justin! Since your seeing this issue in SumTotal, I recommend testing your course in SCORM Cloud to confirm whether or not it's an LMS issue. You can do so by creating a free account here.

This video shows how to use SCORM Cloud with your Articulate content, and you'll find some helpful troubleshooting tips here.

If the issue can be replicated in SumTotal but not in SCORM Cloud, please open a support case with SumTotal so they can better help with your LMS-related issue.  If the problem persists in SCORM Cloud, we'd love to take a look at your published output file. You can upload it privately using this form, and we'll work with you directly to troubleshoot the issue!

Allison Hetrick

Hi - I'm getting the same error "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported." after uploading my video in Rise and trying to play it. The file name is 11 letters, no special characters. I had recorded it with my iPhone and then uploaded to MS Teams and downloaded it from there to my desktop. I uploaded the video to Rise from there. It is a .mov and 255 MB. I also tried via Chrome Incognito and encountered the same error. The video plays fine when I access it from my desktop.