Rise Accessibility

Jul 10, 2019

Hi all,

I am looking for some general advice. I am trying to create courses in Rise that are fully accessible to learners who are using screenreaders (like JAWS). By being selective with what boxes I include, I can create something that I find is technically accessible, but leaves something to be desired in terms of usability. 

A quick example might illustrate my situation: my test learner has no issue tabbing across different text boxes, but arrowing (using the up and down keys) doesn't work as well, particularly in situations where a multiple choice question is introduced by a body of text (like a scenario).  This is important because tabbing will read through the entire body of the text, whereas arrowing gives the option of going line-by-line. This makes her experience worse than someone else who isn't using JAWS, because she can't jump to the relevant portions of text, but has to experience the entire piece again. 

I am wondering if anyone has brushed against similar situations and, if so, what have been some solutions. Thank you in advance!

7 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Jay! Thanks for starting this conversation. I'll leave it for the community to talk about their design solutions.

I'll note that Rise 360 isn't fully accessible yet. Our ultimate goal is to meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).  Here's our information about keyboard navigation.  And we’re currently working on full screen reader support!

Leslie Junk

Hi!

We are running into trouble with the quizzes. The checkbox and radio buttons do not work properly. The style sheet is setting the checkbox and radio button input to display:none. This means that the screen reader can’t access the input.

Also there are no instructions on how to drag and drop (matching) using keyboard only. The only way users can get past the question is to use the mouse, which is not an option for some users. Because of this I feel I can't use the draggable components. 

We are having to create workarounds, but would much prefer a fix from your end. Any thoughts on timing?

Renz Sevilla

Hello everyone! I’m happy to share our Rise 360 Accessibility Collection, which includes the VPAT to describe how Rise 360 conforms to WCAG 2.1 Level AA criteria.

We also updated our roadmap to include Rise 360 features we’re continuing to develop to better support WCAG.

Let me know your questions and experiences building accessible courses for all!