Rise as a company wide authoring tool

Aug 15, 2017

Hi, 

We are building an LMS and we want to offer our clients a user friendly authoring tool that any employee can pick up.  Rise is the ideal product for this given it simple learning curve.  The downside is Rise is marketed more as a professional development tool, so we are being forced to look at alternatives like Adapt or even Edx.  

Can anyone think of a solution where I we can offer Rise as a company wide tool, or is that just not going to be an option?

Paul 

3 Replies
James Lavis

It's fairly simple but like anything the barrier exists when you need to multimedia work as very few people are fluent in things like photoshop, final cut or illustrator. Just my 2 cents, but as the head of our learning department, we don't allow people to create training, we work collaboratively to build it with them. It allows for application of true learning processes and principles while mitigating a free-for-all of hodge podge "training" materials.

Paul Rhodes

Hi James, 

Thats a really good point.  Organisations seem to want an "authoring tool" built into the LMS so everyone can create learning content, but your point is right, this does not actually make a lot of sense from a L&D perspective.  Hmmm, maybe better to offer them that solution as an additional service or educate them on the risks of a free for all approach.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Paul

James Lavis

It all depends on the background of the department, I can only speak to ours as context. Our team is made of learning professionals. So the idea that a learning, development and design department builds the assets, ensures the assets are not "show me, try me" pieces, but rather go through a true learning design process. Flipping the coin, I wouldn't just build a store, create a marketing toolkit, or renovate a pharmacy because I think I can do it, I use the departments.

Companies should hire experts, and learning is one of such. I shot that idea down very fast using the example above with stakeholders. Departments become collaborative partners in the development of learning solutions, but we actually make them. So we use Rise :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.