Rise blank screen issue

Feb 26, 2018

Hi All,
I have a client who is having an issue when re-visiting a Rise course. It works perfectly and as expected when testing in SCORM cloud.

Oddly the course launches fine but on re-visit they just get a blank screen.

One of the difficulties is that I don’t have any access to the system to see what is happening in real time to further debug.

My only real course of action was to get a bit more system specific details to see if anything here would be an issue, they have come back with the following:

LMS: Kallidus Version 10.1.12
Tested on desktop PC running Windows 7
Browser: IE 11
Pop-Up Blocker: Off

Version of JavaScript: Version 8

This all looks fine and in line with the Rise browser compatibility specs.

Since this runs all fine in SCORM cloud I’m at a bit of a loss as to what the issue could be. Has anyone had any similar issues and any resolutions? Or areas for the client to look into further their side of things?

Thanks

85 Replies
Michael Getz

Hi all,

I posted a solution to this issue that requires a simple edit to a function in the "scormdriver.js" file in the published Rise package on this thread:

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/blank-screen-after-update?page=4 

Making this fix whenever you update a course will not not delete learners' progress. What it does to eliminate the blank page on restart issue is that it does not load the bookmark on restart - the screen/page where the user left the previous session. So it always launches the course at the opening screen, but the lesson/topic progress markers in the left-side menu and all learner progress are retained.

Hopefully Articulate will build a similar solution into Rise ASAP.

Sue Blake

I've had issues with this as well.  Our UK partner shared this link with me, the Note appears to cover the issue and solution.  Not sure if it is a fix that was introduced in a later Rise update.

https://community.articulate.com/series/rise-360/articles/rise-360-share-content-with-learners#lms-reset:~:text=indexapi.html.-,Note%3A,-If%20you%20delete

Hope it is of help.

Sue

Mike Adamski

Hi all, I have a similar issue with a blank Rise package. Granted, this particular package only has an introduction and no lessons, and I do get a notification about not having any lessons when I publish in Rise 360, but I can still publish. We simply want a course introduction before the other SCORM/Modules appear in the course (all are loaded in separately as their own SCORM into the LMS).

Is there a reason the page is loading as blank? Does it not allow for just an introduction to appear above where lessons would be added? To reiterate, this particular SCORM has no lessons underneath the introduction we are trying to have appear.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Mike! Instead of creating a Rise 360 course containing no lessons, try creating a Microlearning

Microlearnings have no main menu on the cover page -- they simply open straight to the content. You could include just one block of text for the introduction. 

Here's a sample Microlearning of what that could look like

David Puente

After three years supporting the blank page in SCORMs in a randomly issue I think the origin could be the SCORM module copies. In my customer case, the customer duplicate a course with lots of SCORMs several times during the year (30 or more). I think there is something wrong in the SCORMs copies which make possible the blank page in a randomly way.

My suspects are focus in the code ofuscation made by Rise... I can't see more ahead, but the issue affected my customer in the worst way. Any advance on this?

Eric Santos

Thanks for your reply, David! Could I have you connect with us in a case so we can look at your Rise project and conduct some tests with it? Blackboard Learn is not one of the LMSs we're monitoring with the open bug. I see that your case with us was from two years ago, and there might have been changes with Rise and Blackboard Learn LMS that may have contributed to the issue.

We'll reach out soon after we hear from you!

Dennis Yip

I'm interested in what you found out about this - we also have Blackboard Learn (Ultra Base Nav) with Original courses and it seems like the frequency of "blank" SCORM objects loading has increased. Should I also submit a case? The issue is it's very random - an object could work for one student, but not anothwe.

Steven Benassi

Hi Dennis!

Happy to jump in here!

As my teammate Eric shared, Blackboard Learn is not one of the LMSs being monitored by the bug report. It would be helpful to have a look at your Rise lesson and test to see if you are being affected by the same issue. I've opened a support case on your behalf so you can share it privately with our support engineers.

You're in great hands working one-on-one with them, and they should be reaching out to you shortly!