Rise component character limits

Aug 13, 2019

Hi all,

I'm new to Rise and not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this but...

could someone please point me in the direction where I might find the character limits for different Rise components?

TIA

21 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Geraldine!

You're right, the Scenario dialogue responses are limited to 150 characters.

We added character limits to make sure your text is legible on all devices, especially on smaller mobile screens. What's more, shorter text segments make the interaction more conversational and natural. 

If you need to add more text to a dialogue content, consider adding a few text contents between dialog content. 

Want to see what that would look like in action? Check out Nicole Legault's Acing the Interview scenario. And If you want an inside look at exactly how she built this scenario, click here to send a copy of the course to your Rise 360 dashboard

Renz Sevilla

Hi Siba,

This is documented here. If you think you might need to add more text to content, you can consider adding a few text contents between dialog content. 

We're currently tracking requests to extend the character limit, and will update everyone as well as the documentation accordingly if anything changes!

Brian Schoeni

Hi - 

I too would  kindly request that you provide a single location/file/document that lists the various character limits for each of the different Rise components. Often times, users are not writing content inside of Rise, and it is a waste of time to have to track down character limits that are scattered across the site or the internet in general (or missing altogether). It couldn't take long for a knowledgeable Rise staffer to compile and share, and it would save everyday users considerable time and frustration. Thank you!

Sarah Miller

Hi , checking in again re my initial request. Thanks for the Scenario character limits: where can we find details about all the other blocks please? As others have noted on this thread, we would like to know the limitations BEFORE scripting so as to eliminate unnecessary rework. Where are those shared? Thank you

Brian Schoeni

Hi, Lea -

Is there a reason the Rise staff cannot provide all character limits by component in a single file or place? As several people have mentioned, it would be a huge help to have that information all in one place any time we are designing/writing outside of Rise. While I appreciate it when staffers offer to share the character limit on a particular component, it often takes several days to get a response (meaning the need for an answer is long past) -- and I cannot imagine it is how Rise staffers want to spend their time (as opposed to linking users to a single file/location with all the limits listed out). Thanks for any insight you can offer. 

Lea Agato

Hi Brian, we don't have character limits on most Rise blocks. You'll see limits for the scenario block and the sorting activity block. Matching question types are limited to 90 characters because of the shape of the matching choices.

If you're seeing unexpected limits in other block types, please let us know! We're happy to answer with the latest information available.

Michelle Robin Gould, LMHC, NCC, BC-TMH  | Michelle Robin Gould Corporation

I'd like to know the character limits for knowledge check feedback and quiz feedback. As others have said in this thread, it would be so helpful to have an article outlining the character limits of the various features so we keep these limitations in mind when we design. 

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Sarah! There are no character limits for the knowledge check feedback and quiz feedback. If you added a lot of paragraphs, it will add in a scrollbar so that the learner can scroll through the feedback.

Here's how the scrollbar looks like.