Rise - Content Copyright issue

Mar 22, 2018

Hi,

Recently, i came across another issue in Rise. I can copy the content from Rise courses. Is there anyway to restrict the user from copying the content. Since all these materials are very specific to my company or client i don't want anyone to use this content. If i publish any course in Storyline, the SCORM will not allow anyone to copy the content. However, in rise i can copy the text, images videos, etc... I can copy 100% of the course and re-create it without anyone knowledge.

So, is there any way to block this? or Articulate team has already working on this feature?

12 Replies
Srinivasan  T

I hope someone from articulate forum see this and reply, because similar issue has been raised by someone 11 months ago and it has zero replies. Link to the previous post is below. His needs are different but our goal is same. We don't want anyone to use our content.

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise/rise-block-copy-and-print

Nicole Legault

Hello GSC Academy and thank you for leaving your comment here in the community!

Thank you also, Matthew, for your detailed and helpful response.

As Matthew said, it's very difficult to actually lock down text content on the internet against someone who really wants it (for the reasons stated by Matthew above.) The best recourse is likely to enforce any existing  copyright or license laws that protect the content in question. 

That being said, of course you're more than welcome to submit a feature request asking for the ability to restrict copying of text content. Additionally, here's some information about how we manage feature requests.  Thanks again for taking the time to leave a comment in the community. 

Cass Netzley
Matthew Bibby

take them to court for copyright infringement. Copyright laws exist for a reason. 

Valid points on the accessibility of content for viewers, note-taking, if someone is motivated they'll be able to reproduce it in some manner or another. In the quoted statement above, that's nice and dandy in parts of the world that respect copyright and have enforceable laws, however, there are a couple of massive countries in the EMEA and APAC regions that have zero regards for "copyright".  Certification exams really make a motive for such materials to be re-taught or distributed to skirt around costs of having to take the legitimate class tied to those materials.

I once was quick to point to legal route as well, but global analytics over a range of certification course from years previous opened my eyes to what's definitely occurring. We can only try to mitigate it w content publishing options or provide hurdles w/o sacrificing the learner's experience if possible.

Louise Lindop

Thanks Matthew for this code. Exactly what I was looking for too. Doug, you mentioned in the other post, about locking down videos, that this code also worked for this. I've found the code stops the highlighting of text so that it can't be copied and pasted but had no effect on the right-click and ability to download the videos. Did you modify the code at all to lock down the videos? Thanks. Louise

Doug Doyle

Hi Louise,

I have had luck by placing the code at the very top of the 'main.bundle.css' file in the 'content > lib' folder. See the two images for examples on where I placed the code and how after right clicking the video is no longer a 'save as'. Hope this helps.

Doug

Mary Torgersen

Hi there,
I know this thread is quite old, but I have a follow up question. We have added this code into our courses and is indeed a great way to lock down the content. We have found though that it also prevents screen readers from being able to highlight and then read the text. 
So I guess the question is....is this an either or choice? Is there any way to lock down the text to prevent copying without also preventing it from being accessible for screen readers?
Thanks in Advance, Mary

Paul Shepherd

Hi Doug.

Thanks for taking the time to do the screenshots. I've been trying to do the same but by the time I have unzipped, added the code to the CSS main bundle and then rezipped it, my LMS (TalentLMS) says that it's no longer a valid SCORM file. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks, Paul