Rise - Content Copyright issue

Hi,

Recently, i came across another issue in Rise. I can copy the content from Rise courses. Is there anyway to restrict the user from copying the content. Since all these materials are very specific to my company or client i don't want anyone to use this content. If i publish any course in Storyline, the SCORM will not allow anyone to copy the content. However, in rise i can copy the text, images videos, etc... I can copy 100% of the course and re-create it without anyone knowledge.

So, is there any way to block this? or Articulate team has already working on this feature?

13 Replies
Srinivasan  T

I hope someone from articulate forum see this and reply, because similar issue has been raised by someone 11 months ago and it has zero replies. Link to the previous post is below. His needs are different but our goal is same. We don't want anyone to use our content.

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise/rise-block-copy-and-print

Matthew Bibby

I'm sure someone from Articulate will get back to you regarding this, but while you are waiting I'll offer my thoughts on the topic.

It's the internet. Everything is up for grabs. 

Even if Articulate did make it so people couldn't copy and paste things, it would still be trivial for someone to copy your content. For example, I can take a photo and pass that to an OCR tool and have the text from any webpage in a few minutes. I could remove any page elements that are 'blocking' the content, or view the page source and grab the info from there etc. 

I'm not sure I understand why it's a problem that learners might copy content?  What if they want to make notes to refer back to later? Why prevent them from copying and pasting? I mean they'll still type out notes if the content is useful... but they'll just be inconvenienced.

If your competitors are copying your content, then take them to court for copyright infringement. Copyright laws exist for a reason. 

Anyway, just my 2c. I love the fact that people can copy stuff from Rise.

I consider it a feature, not a bug.

Nicole Legault

Hello GSC Academy and thank you for leaving your comment here in the community!

Thank you also, Matthew, for your detailed and helpful response.

As Matthew said, it's very difficult to actually lock down text content on the internet against someone who really wants it (for the reasons stated by Matthew above.) The best recourse is likely to enforce any existing  copyright or license laws that protect the content in question. 

That being said, of course you're more than welcome to submit a feature request asking for the ability to restrict copying of text content. Additionally, here's some information about how we manage feature requests.  Thanks again for taking the time to leave a comment in the community. 

Cass Netzley
Matthew Bibby

take them to court for copyright infringement. Copyright laws exist for a reason. 

Valid points on the accessibility of content for viewers, note-taking, if someone is motivated they'll be able to reproduce it in some manner or another. In the quoted statement above, that's nice and dandy in parts of the world that respect copyright and have enforceable laws, however, there are a couple of massive countries in the EMEA and APAC regions that have zero regards for "copyright".  Certification exams really make a motive for such materials to be re-taught or distributed to skirt around costs of having to take the legitimate class tied to those materials.

I once was quick to point to legal route as well, but global analytics over a range of certification course from years previous opened my eyes to what's definitely occurring. We can only try to mitigate it w content publishing options or provide hurdles w/o sacrificing the learner's experience if possible.

Matthew Bibby

Okay GSC Academy, even though I don't think it's the best idea for reasons stated above, here's a little bit of code that you can use to help protect your content.

Keep in mind this is really easy to get around.

• Export your Rise course
  • Open main.bundle.css in a code editor
  • Add the following code to the top of the file:
* {
  -webkit-user-select: none;
  -khtml-user-select: none;
  -moz-user-select: none;
  -ms-user-select: none;
  -o-user-select: none;
  user-select: none;
}
  • Save the file. 

Now people won't be able to select text etc. in your course using their mouse.

I haven't tested this at all, it may have unintended side effects. Please check with your doctor before using... um... I mean... please test your course throughly in all browsers before using.

Also, please keep in mind that Articulate don't support modifying the published output in this way, so if things break, you'll need to remove this code from your project.

Hope that helps.

Louise Lindop

Thanks Matthew for this code. Exactly what I was looking for too. Doug, you mentioned in the other post, about locking down videos, that this code also worked for this. I've found the code stops the highlighting of text so that it can't be copied and pasted but had no effect on the right-click and ability to download the videos. Did you modify the code at all to lock down the videos? Thanks. Louise

Doug Doyle

Hi Louise,

I have had luck by placing the code at the very top of the 'main.bundle.css' file in the 'content > lib' folder. See the two images for examples on where I placed the code and how after right clicking the video is no longer a 'save as'. Hope this helps.

Doug