Rise Course LMS Uploading issue : URL length reccurent issue

May 17, 2019

Dear community,

We have an issue on our LMS platform while uploading some courses from Rise. The error message generated by our LMS (Cornerstone) is the following : Failed to unzip: Could not Unzip file, The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

After the check work and renaming of the title of the module to shorten the title the result is the same. For your information we could already deploye some courses with the same title length, but on some of them it's blocking.

For your information the module is created in Russian, I'm wondering if it may be related to this.

Could you, please, adivise ?

9 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Artem,

I'm sorry you've run into some issues here! It looks like we have some other users who have reported similar issues when their courses contain a multimedia attachment with a title that's too long or contains non-latin characters. Do you have an attachment like that in your course? If so, I would try shortening the title length or replacing it with an English title and see if that works.

If that doesn't fix the issue, the quickest way to resolve this issue is to have our Support Team take a look. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Artem Ismailov

Hello Allison,

Thanks for you prompt reply. Of course, I tried to do some trouble shooting on SCORM Could before, but didn't work. Here is the message : Course import failed, error was: Failed to extract zip file. (Click the X in the top right corner of this message to dismiss)

So I followed your advice and created a ticket for Support team.

Crystal Horn

Hello, Emily! The standard we usually follow is the 260 character limit that Windows uses. That limit includes not just the file name, but the entire path behind it.

For example, the path to your PDF might look like course_name_scorm12/scormcontent/assets/123456789PDFname.pdf where the PDF file has some encoding information attached to the file name. 

What are some example PDF names you have? Can you shorten them or even the name of your exported file when you save it to your machine from Rise 360?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.