Rise course not resuming

Oct 21, 2020

I understand that Rise 360 courses exported to LMS should always resume, there's no option on exporting not to, and that's what we want. I run a test course in Scorm cloud and it resumes fine, I can see GetValue called for cmi.location and cmi.suspend_data in the debug log. We're exporting to Scorm 2004 2nd edition.

However we are writing our own LMS to host the content its not resuming as we want. On debugging we're finding that's probably because GetValue is not called by the course for cmi.location or cmi.suspend_data, which we've persisted to supply when requested but it never is. Debug on revisiting the course is basically this sequence:

Initialize
GetValue: cmi.success_status = unknown
GetLastError = 0
GetValue: cmi.completion_status = unknown
GetLastError = 0
SetValue: cmi.completion_status: incomplete
SetValue: cmi.exit: suspend
GetValue: cmi.mode = normal
GetLastError = 0

which matches what Scorm cloud has but then that's getting GetValue called for cmi.location and cmi.suspend_data, but we're not. The course hasn't been changed between visits.

Could anyone offer any explanation or advice?

We're evaluating Articulate and are pretty close to purchasing it to embed learning content into our software but if we can't suspend and resume course progress, we may have to look elsewhere.

7 Replies
Jeremy Bradshaw

Hi Alyssa, thanks for replying.

The browser is actually a WebView in a mobile app on iOS, so its Safari. It's been problematic getting the Commit & Terminate API methods to be called by the course because the browser is not 'closed' in the traditional sense, though we have tried an Exit Course button which does call Commit and Terminate, but that didn't seem to affect our ability to resume afterwards. 

Jeremy Bradshaw

I have found out why. I was building a new index.html for the app and I wasn't initiating the Scorm API discovery in the right place - has to be after the scormdriver script was loaded (obviously) but crucially before the body script in the scormcontent index.html. I was doing it after the latter, by which time the initiation of the cache was tried & failed.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.