Rise - Free Text Boxes

Nov 09, 2017

Hi All,

After a bit of help with Rise as I am a new user.

We have a development plan in one of our courses which users fill in as they go, this was originally set up as free text boxes which the user fills in and emails to themselves via a button in the course. this was built in Storyline 360 and imported into Rise. However I we across an issue where users don't have a default email client selected, which means they click the email button and the web browser is just blank. 

As such we have opted to just use free text boxes that the user can go back and review after they have completed the course. 

My question is will the course retain their typed information after they have exited the course? 

Is this a Rise function OR is it based on the LMS?

Thanks!

9 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hello, Fleur!  It sounds like you have text entry fields inside your Storyline course, and the Storyline course is included in a blocks lesson in your Rise course.

Your Rise course will allow users to resume if it's launched from an LMS.  Currently, a Storyline block is not passing that level of detail to the Rise interface, though.  So what the learner inputs in Storyline will not be saved while it's in Rise.  

Can your Storyline course be launched independently of your Rise course?  It sounds like you've done a lot of development, and you should be able to retain the full functionality of Storyline if you need it.  An example of how to do this would be to use the Embed URL block to launch the Storyline course in new browser tab.

Let me know what you think!

Coniqua Abdul-Malik

I have a similar question. We've used a "notebook feature" in a previous course using the tutorial posted by @Matthew Bibby that users would be able to print or email to themselves. Previously, each module had it's own print/email buttons as they were separate storyline files. If I am embedding storyline files for text input into different Rise lessons, is there a way to get them to pass to the LMS so they can be printed as one product at the end. If the rise is published as a SCORM file and launched via the LMS?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Coniqua, 

Storyline blocks won't track or pass completion to the LMS, as the overall tracking and completion of the course is controlled by the Rise settings. I'm not familiar with the example you mentioned from Matthew, but perhaps you could reach out to him to see if he has any ideas?  Use the Contact Me  button on his profile.

Duy Huynh

We built an entire course in Storyline and the HTML5 outputs are buggy.  Articulate team working on the bug fixes, but we are needing to deploy to mobile ASAP as client is running out of time...  Moving to Rise, we understand we need to embed a Storyline object to have free text answers, but we need to be able to store these answers to the LMS.  Is there a way to do this?  Even if it means a bit of coding?  Can Dev team assist? It’s the one feature that’s holding us back at this point from progressing to Rise.

Leslie McKerchie

Great news Duy!

You can now track your Rise course completion with a Storyline Block. Check out the documentation here. However, the question-level data is not reported at this time and is currently a feature request with our team. I'll be sure to add this thread as we track user requests and so that we can update you here when we can.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Duy,

The ETA on the reporting of question level data is now set for Q2'18. Once it's ready we'll let folks know here in ELH. 

On a related note, it looks like Victor made some really promising progress on your Storyline project overnight, and I know you're in touch with him to put the finishing touches on your content. 😀

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.