RISE, IE11, and an LMS .....walk into a bar

Jan 11, 2017

Just wondering, after searching in another thread, has anyone been successful launching a zipped Rise file through their LMS while using Internet Explorer 11 as the browser?

If so can you share what LMS you are using?

53 Replies
Justin Grenier

That's a great find, Melissa.

By enabling Compatibility Mode in IE 11, your IT Team is basically asking the browser to behave like IE 7, which doesn't support HTML5 (the backbone behind Rise).  It'd be great if they could disable Compatibility Mode for Rise courses, and using another modern browser is a great choice too.

Let us know how we can help!

Melissa Jordan

Thanks Justin! I have a feeling they're not going to want to disable Compatibilty mode, and I know they aren't going to change our browser company-wide (much to my chagrin!). 

So, just out of curiosity, do you guys plan to patch in some code to automatically disable Compatibility mode in IE when viewing a course in Rise?

Right now we're using a link to the course as our Plan B - but those links are public and we'd much rather be able to host the files in our LMS so there's no danger of proprietary information being shared. (I know you can require a password to view it, but that's just asking for issues and a ton of IT tickets being opened by associates who didn't read the instructions in our LMS.)

Thanks!

Melissa Jordan

Hi guys! I just wanted to share a possible workaround that seems to be working for us so far. If you add a snipet of code to the index.API.html file, it forces the course to open in IE11, whether compatibility mode is checked or not.

Here's the code to add: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />

So it'd look like this:

code

We have to add this every time we publish a Rise course, but it's not that much work. :)

I hope it might be helpful to some of you having the same issue!

Justin Grenier

I'm sad to hear your frustration, Tracy, and I remember you saying that your IT Team might not be able to disable Compatibility Mode.

I read recently that some health care organizations need to maintain (or simulate) really old versions of IE in order to maintain compatibility with some of the big EHR systems on the market, and a Redditor even shared this craziness from their health care setting.

Having said that, we're here to help, and we're also happy to work with you one-on-one if you'd prefer to share more symptoms privately.

Michael Fimian

I'm constantly amazed at how many organization fall back onto IE as their default browser... At only 13% of use world-wide (and that number is probably inflated by all those aforementioned corporations and groups), it's got to make you think "why the he** are they doing that?"

That makes one out of eight users/groups/corporations out of all users on the internet.

Considering the limitations of this browser, regardless of the version, why?

Julie Monnox

Unfortunatley, though RISE is great and easy to use and looks fantastic, I have the very same problems as everyone else on this thread. Even if authored in Chrome it does not view in IE11 or on the LMS(blank screen). Unfortunatley large componays or government bodies restric Chrome or have settings for IE which cant be changed along with LMS default settings. This makes RISE impractical in many aspects for us.

Kim Speechley

Hi all -

I am having difficulty viewing both Storyline 360 and Rise courses in our LMS, also using IE11 as our default company bowser. These modules are published as SCORM 1.2 files and work correctly in the LMS when viewed in Chrome, so its not an LMS issue. By the sounds of it, it may be a compatibility issue with IE11 changing to an earlier version. I am yet to discuss with my IT department but as a global company, I am very doubtful that they will change anything. Have there been any developments for this issue? I am very worried now that my Storyline files wont work given I have upgraded from Storyline 2..

Anyone have a solution? 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kim,

Yes, the compatibility mode that we've seen some LMSs forcing is causing issues since Rise is solely an HTML5 published output and wont' work in earlier IE browsers based on their HTML5 support. You could use the steps Justin shared here to see if IE 11 is running in compatibility mode. Here's a quick Peek at how to check.  If you confirm this is happening, a next step might be to test your Rise course in SCORM Cloud and see if IE is being forced into compatibility mode there as well.

For the story files, have you looked at publishing for HTML5 with Flash fallback or a Flash first with HTML5 as  fallback? Those should still work in IE7 - as long as Flash is enabled in the browser.

Please let us know if we can help with any steps along the way, and good luck!

Kim Speechley

Hi Ashley,

I checked using the F12 Developer Tools and it is defaulting to Microsoft Edge. According to the System requirements list this is compatible with HTML5 content. So I'm not sure why this isn't working unless it hasn't been updated?

As for the Storyline file I changed the published file to Flash with HTML5 fallback and it works! Thanks for the tip.  

Julie Monnox

Thank you. I will follow up with this and check. Will get back to you with outcome

Julie Monnox
Training Coordinator
Point of Care Testing Service| NSW Health Pathology
Level 5, 45 Watt Street, Newcastle, PO Box 846
Tel 02 49204061| Mob 0438 101 682 julie.monnox@health.nsw.gov.au

[Description: Description: http://internal.health.nsw.gov.au/communications/e-signatures/images/NSW-Health-Pathology.jpg]

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of NSW Health or any of its entities.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.