Rise not reporting to LMS as Complete

Mar 20, 2018

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me on make a Rise module communicate with the LMS properly.  I've create and published a module (no quiz) based on tracking using course completion.  This is set to 100% and when a user reaches the end of the module and closes it, the LMS does not recognise it as completed.

I initially thought that it may be because the user needs to scroll to the bottom of the last page in order to complete and so I tried altering the course completion from 100% to 90% to give a bit of flexibility but this didn't make any difference.  Is there anything I'm missing?  Also previously in storyline modules you had the option to set a reporting status such as Complete/Incomplete but I can't find this anywhere.  Is it possible to apply this in Javascript files once published maybe?

Many thanks for any help.

Kevin

41 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kevin,

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly! From here, I would give your course a test drive in another LMS environment. That'll narrow down whether this is an issue with your LMS or with the Rise course itself. SCORM Cloud is great for this kind of testing since it's industry standard. Let me know if you'd like some help with that!

Also, I wanted to mention that you can only select a different reporting status in Rise if you choose to 'track using quiz result'. 

Sarah McNamara

Hi, thanks for the help on this,  I've tried changing the reporting Status and this hasn't changed how the module behaves unfortunately. I'm currently looking into using SCORM 2004 to see if this makes any difference.

The module functions correctly on SCORM cloud and from contact the LMS provider (Kallidus) they are just saying its a content issue and there is nothing they can do to help.

It's a shame that Rise looks good but does seem to communicate properly to LMS's.  Since yesterday I've read many posts appearing over the last 12 months with people having similar problems (yet to be resolved).

Stuart Marshall

SCORM Cloud isn't actually a particularly useful testing system as it can handle absolutely any content - no matter how bad or good it is. Unfortunately most LMSs are not so forgiving.

There are a few other tweaks that can be made in scormdriver.js to see if they help. One for sure worth trying would be to make sure 'exit_suspend_if_completed = FALSE'. There are a few tweaks like this that I have made that have helped with some LMSs that I work with. i can't remember the others offhand but i have a note of them in the office.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi, Kevin!

Really sorry to hear about the trouble you're having in Kallidus. It's great that the content works in SCORM Cloud, but we want to make sure it works for you too.

A really useful tool for deciphering the communication between your content and your LMS is to enable LMS Debug Mode. This will show you every snippet of communication that your Rise course is sending to your LMS.

If you can provide the resulting LMS Debug Log to Kallidus, they should be able to identify exactly what is missing. Or, you can share the LMS Debug Log with us by clicking here, and we'll help you interpret it.

Stuart Marshall

Hi Kevin. In the scormdriver.js file locate the following function

function SCORM_TranslateExitTypeToSCORM(strExitType) {
WriteToDebug("In SCORM_TranslatgeExitTypeToSCORM strExitType-" + strExitType);
if (strExitType == EXIT_TYPE_SUSPEND) {
WriteToDebug("Returning suspend");
return SCORM_SUSPEND;
} else if (strExitType == EXIT_TYPE_UNLOAD) {
WriteToDebug("Returning Exit");
return SCORM_NORMAL_EXIT;
} else if (strExitType == EXIT_TYPE_FINISH) {
WriteToDebug("Returning Logout");
return SCORM_NORMAL_EXIT;
} else if (strExitType == EXIT_TYPE_TIMEOUT) {
WriteToDebug("Returning Timout");
return SCORM_TIMEOUT;
}
}

and try changing the return value for EXIT_TYPE_FINISH from SCORM_NORMAL_EXIT to SCORM_LOGOUT

Also, i'd stick with using SCORM 1.2. If you are using 2004 then you'll need to find the equivalent function and replace with SCORM2004_LOGOUT

Stuart Marshall

Alyssa - get them to check out what I have written above as I think this is how it should be. A lot of LMSs allow completion/exit status to be set by lesson status but it should really be set by cmi.exit and to do this properly when a course is completed it needs to send the "logout" message (which isn't getting done by the Articulate scorm driver). I think this is probably responsible for many of the completion issues people are having and it is an issue to do with the content as opposed to the LMS. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Steven and welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing a similar issue. Let's see if we can help you out :)

I took a look at Kevin's case and it seems that we were unable to replicate the issue, and awaiting some additional information to further test. That does mean, however, I do not have a solution to share with you at this time.

Were you able to replicate the issue in SCORM Cloud or is the issue only happening within your LMS as well?

Kristen Mozaffari

Hi there,

I am having a similar issue, though slightly different. If I select during export to Track Using Course Completion (100%), it marks it as complete, regardless of what I go on the test, as it should. :)

My problem is that if I Track Using Quiz Result, it does nothing. It neither marks it as pass nor fail. It always shows as incomplete. I am using Comply365.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Kristen and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Sorry to hear that you've run into an issue tracking your Rise course, but I'd be glad to help you out.

I'm curious how you have the Reporting set for your course? If you have it set to Passed/Incomplete or Complete/Incomplete and you were failing the quiz, that would be the expected result.

Let me know how you have that setup and if you are able to replicate an issue within SCORM Cloud as well.

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Steven,

Hmm, is that an issue with your LMS? Do you experience similar behavior with SCORM Cloud?

"A known issue with Rise course completions without quizzes." is not ringing any bells for me.

Did you work with our support team or is another thread coming to mind? I'd be happy to take a look.

It also looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Connie Wang

Found a solution that worked, since my team encountered this same problem.  The course launch page (html) needs to point not to the default our LMS (Oracle Taleo Learn) detected when initially setting up/importing into the LMS, which is "index.html" at the top level of the published/exported files/folders.  Instead, the course launch URL needs to point to the "indexAPI.html" file which resides under the "scormdriver" folder under the main course folder.  There may be a way to modify the imsmanifest.xml file to direct your LMS to the other file/location.  In Oracle Taleo Learn, the course launch link/URL can be easily modified from the course launch page.  So examples of these are:

• Did not work/default: yourhost\coursename\index.html
  • Worked/manually modified: yourhost\coursename\scormdriver\indexAPI.html

It was not necessary to add another scored (quiz/assessment) component to the course in order to get it to register completion into the LMS. In fact, we tried this as one part of our troubleshooting process and it did not fix the issue.

Helen Luzan

I am having issues with a Rise course registering the completion status in two LMS's. After reading this I have changed the course tracking to course completion, rather than quiz result. Will this address these issues discussed here?

I did notice that the score was inconsistently passed to the LMS.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Helen!

The inconsistency you're seeing could depend on how learners close the course:

• Some learners close using the "Exit Course" button inside the course, and their completion data is sent to the LMS.
  • Some learners close the course using the browser window close button (x), and their completion data is not sent.

Chrome has deprecated a technology that was used by many LMSs to allow a course to communicate back to the LMS when the course browser window is closed. We made an update to Rise 360 in February to account for this change in Chrome. 

Your LMS may also need to upgrade their system to account for this change. If your LMS hasn't upgraded their system, or if you're using an older version of your LMS that doesn't include an update to address this change, the course cannot communicate progress or completion properly.

This causes learners to start over from the beginning instead of resuming a course or recording completion after they close the browser window.

Please reach out to your LMS and find out if they have released an update to address the Chrome changes.