Rise: Problems with tracking in LMS

Sep 24, 2019

Hi Everyone, 

Baseline situation:
Some of the courses that we use in the company to instruct employees (compliance, etc.) are created in Rise. After some chapters we include quizzes to increase the attention of our learners. When exporting, we basically set the "tracking using course completion (90%) and not the "tracking using quiz results" (Rise offers either one or the other, no combination).

The problem:
Our LMS sets these courses to "not complete" instead of "completed" for some learners despite 100% completion. We have already checked the content several times and are still looking for the problem. 

Our LMS provider suspects it in the Rise course and not in the LMS...
His assumption is that the SCORM package sends the quiz results despite the setting during export and if a learner has not answered all questions correctly, the SCORM package sends the status "not complete" to the LMS.

My Question: 
I can't quite imagine this and have never had such problems with Rise before. Have any of you encountered anything similar?

Thank you, best regards from Germany,
Stephanie 

6 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Stephanie! 

Is it possible that learners are skipping some of the lessons? If so, this could be the reason why the course is not marked as complete. You can use Restricted Navigation to ensure the learner views all the lessons. 

Also, we'd be happy to test your course in another LMS environment, like SCORM Cloud. This will help us nail down whether the issue is related to Rise 360 or to your LMS.

If that works for you, you can send us your SCORM output file by clicking here. We'll delete it when we're done troubleshooting. 

Katrin Maschke

Hi Alyssa, thank you so much for your fast answer.

In Rise we use in principle the restrictive navigation, in order to be able to guarantee a sighting by the learner absolutely.

Yesterday evening, we found (and were able to reproduce several times) that if a quiz is included in a Rise module and this quiz is not passed, this status is sent to the LMS and noted. This happens although we clearly define that a status for the LMS should not be created after quiz results, but after viewed pages (90% of the contents, as single "choice when exporting).

In the end, the learner sees in his module that all chapters are marked as fully completed, but in the LMS the course remains incomplete. The LMS still has the status from the test and notes that if it does not pass the module is not finished. 

We don't understand why the SCORM package sends information about the quiz questions as status, although it doesn't matter for the evaluation "Complete/incomplete". We suspect that there is a compatibility problem between the LMS and SCORM on the part of LMS, but we are not sure.

I'll upload the SCORM package for you. We always like to work with Rise and have always been satisfied with the technical implementation. Maybe we're making a mistake when exporting ourselves, but I can't understand it yet. Thanks for your help.

Best regards
Stephanie 

Karl Muller

Hi Stephanie.  It sounds like you and I are using very similar completion criteria for our Rise courses.

Each of our Lessons have a Quiz, but we do not use these quiz percentages to determine course completion.

We also track course completion using the setting "tracking using course completion" but we use 100%.

In our LMS, learner completion is being correctly determined by "tracking using course completion", regardless of learner scores for quizzes. Rise still sends the scores of the quizzes to the LMS but the scores do not impact the "Complete/incomplete" status.

So this suggests to me that Rise is sending the correct status to the LMS, but there seems to be a difference in how your LMS and our LMS interprets the data being sent.

Katrin Maschke

Hi Karl, hi Crytsal, 

we actually use very similar structures in our courses like Karl. Meanwhile we are pretty sure that there is a communication problem between our LMS (Avendoo) and SCORM in general. Especially since no false information was sent in SCORM cloud.

We're trying to find a way with the LMS team to fix the problem.
Many thanks for your help!!!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.