Rise Quiz Settings

Jan 10, 2018

Hi, I am using the new Rise quiz feature where we can stop the user from moving on until they get the quiz correct.

However, I need to give the users 2 attempts before they can fail the quiz but move on to complete the module, (with the fail/complete being sent to the LMS). 

So I chose 2 attempts in the quiz settings. When I tested this, I got the quiz wrong on the 2nd attempt and expected to be able to move on after that but no, there is no retry button (which I expected) but I cannot move on either as the next lesson is still locked. I am now stuck inside the module.

Then I found this: https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Quiz-Settings  which states 'If you limit the number of times learners can retake the quiz and they fail all attempts, they won’t be able to advance to the next lesson or complete the course.' 

This seems very illogical. What is the point of having the attempts option if the users can't move on once they fail all attempts. They are essentially stuck.

Can this please be fixed urgently, our users need a certain number of attempts and if they fail those attempts they need to be able to move on without being stranded inside the module.

Pinned Reply
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Sophia!

You're correct -- learners cannot retake the quiz one more time after they have exhausted all quiz attempts. 

You may want to check your LMS to see if there is a setting that allows you to reset the course for the learner. This would allow them to start from the beginning as if they had never taken the course before, and they would be able to take the quiz again. Hopefully a feature like that would solve for what you need!

40 Replies
Kjell Mathisen

Hi,

Picking up on this as I need some help. I made a try for a assessment(quiz or knowledge check) with a max number of attempts (3) and passing score to continue. I failed it intentionally 3 times and as expected it was locked. Is there any options to have a instructor to unlock the quiz or is the trainee completely stuck at this point?

Reason I want this is the verify knowledge at stage but also an intervention by the instructor before the trainee are to move on in the coures.

Thanks for clarifying...

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Amanda! While that option isn't available in Rise 360 quizzes, you can do that in a Storyline 360 quiz! Here's how: Storyline 360: Submitting Answers All at Once.

Then, embed the quiz in Rise 360 as a Storyline block.  You can track the Storyline block quiz score by choosing the quiz tracking option when you publish from Storyline to Review 360. Then, choose to track the Rise course by the Storyline block. Check out more details in this article.

In that scenario, the quiz score will be sent to the LMS, but question-level details aren't sent to the LMS for Storyline blocks.

Nicola Burton

Hi Alyssa,

I would just like to follow up on the previous discussion regarding indicating if an answer is correct or not.

We're using Articulate Rise to create courses. We allow learners unlimited attempts at a quiz with an 80% pass mark (settings attached for your reference).

However, our learners would like to know if they've got an answer correct or not, and we certainly support this if the correct answer isn't revealed, as it seems counter productive to allow unlimited attempts and provide the answers essentially.

From an L&D methodology, providing feedback would certainly be the correct thing to do, so I was wondering if there are any planned enhancements to Articulate Rise that would support this approach. If you don't plan to support this, could you please tell me if Articulate 360 supports this please?

Also, we're moving to a modularised approach to developing our courses and as such we would like to allow multiple assessment quizzes that contribute to the overall pass mark, rather than choosing one quiz only. 

Could you please advise me if this option may be available in the future? If not, is this something you offer in 360.

Kind Regards
Nicola 

Lea Agato

Hi Nicola, you can certainly achieve the scenarios you described using Storyline 360:

You can customize your feedback layers in Storyline 360 to not display the correct answers when a learner answers the question incorrectly.  

If you want to track the results of more than one quiz within a course, you can create a Results slide to combine results from multiple quizzes within your course. Check out step 3 in this article for more details.  

Once you’ve built your Storyline course, you can add it in Rise 360 as a Storyline block, and here’s how you can track course completion within a Storyline block.

I hope this helps! 

Sophia Strickfaden

If I missed this, please let me know. I'm hoping for the same sort of restriction that if the attempts are exhausted by the learner without passing, then they are sent back to the beginning of a module or lesson to complete AND reset the attempts. Is this a feature or possible with certain settings? If not, is it something we can add to the request? 

The goal is for them to complete the content/activities in the Rise module and then take a quiz to ensure they have comprehended the information. BUT, I don't necessarily want them to get stuck in the quiz without being able to move back or forward. Currently, if I restrict it so they can only move forward or get completion with a passing score then they cannot do anything upon failing ... right? 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Sophia!

You're correct -- learners cannot retake the quiz one more time after they have exhausted all quiz attempts. 

You may want to check your LMS to see if there is a setting that allows you to reset the course for the learner. This would allow them to start from the beginning as if they had never taken the course before, and they would be able to take the quiz again. Hopefully a feature like that would solve for what you need!

Tom White

Hello 
We have received the below from our customer, can I ask if there is any further development/progress on this.

I have created a number of courses for a Client and am having an issue with the Quiz.

We have a quiz at the end of each section for compliance training. The learners must score 100% before they move on and only get two attempts to pass.

If the learner fails the quiz, what do we need to do to reset the course so they can move forward?