52 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Carlos,

Are you using the "Share" link to send the information along to users? If so, learners' progress won't be saved, so if they launch your course more than once using a shareable web link, their progress will be reset to 0% and they'll be taken back to the beginning of the course. If you want learners to be able to resume where they left off, you'll need to export your Rise course as an LMS package as described below.

Rise courses can be exported as AICC, SCORM 1.2, and SCORM 2004 packages to be hosted in your learning management system. Or, you can export Rise courses as web-only packages to be hosted on a web server. Here's how:

1. Open the course from your Rise home page.
  2. Click Export in the upper right corner of the screen.
  3. Choose an LMS specification or select No LMS—Web Only, then click Export in the upper right corner.
  4. You'll see a notification when your course is ready for export. Click the Export button on the notification to proceed. (If Rise finds any errors in your course, such as a blank lesson, you'll be asked if you want to edit the course or continue with the export.)
  5. After a few moments of processing, you'll be prompted to download the zip file to your computer. Choose a location and click Save.
  6. Click OK to acknowledge the export successful message.
  7. Click Cancel in the upper right corner to return to your Rise course.

After exporting your Rise course, simply upload it to your LMS or a web server, then distribute it to your learners.

Good Morning Giada! 

At the moment, a re-launched Rise course will always reach out to the LMS and ask for the suspend data needed to resume the learner's previous attempt at the course (in contrast to Storyline, where you have a few other options).

Some Learning Management Systems have features that will allow you to force a new attempt on the learner after completion, thereby declining to provide the suspend data needed to resume.

We'll evaluate additional resume features in the future, and we'd invite you to share your input here!

Ian Jaffe

Hi Ashley,  

I see above the original person reporting this was using a web publish, but we are running into the same or a similar issue on out LMS (Rustici Scorm Engine, same as SCORM Cloud) with a SCORM 1.2 publish.  We are using the 'Employee Health and Wellness (sample course)' in the tool for some initial baseline testing and that is where this is occurring.  This SCORM publish was created two weeks ago and if needed I can attach here or submit it along with the support ticket I am entering.  

My testing was done in Chrome, but our testers saw the same behavior cross browser and platform (iPhones, Android, IE, Safari, etc.)

Steps to recreate:
1. Register and launch the course in LMS.
2. Complete four lessons and navigate to  fifth lesson..
3. Access Employee Health and Wellness (Sample course) on left top corner of the course.
4. Access Resume course.

Actual Result: Lesson 1 ""Weeks to a Healthier You"" is appearing.
Expected Result: Lesson 5:Managing Stress"" should be appear."

Hi Ian,

Thanks for reaching out here and sharing what you're seeing. The resume behavior for Rise courses is controlled by the LMS and how they'll reach out to start a new attempt or not. 

The resume sounds like it's bringing you back to the start of the course based on you clicking the title of the course from the top left? If you don't click that title are you still brought back to Lesson 1? It sounds like something we'd want to take a look at your LMS export and see if something got tripped up in there and if you've got a link to the Rise Course on your LMS that would help us too! Can you share those here with me or send along to our Support Engineers?

Whooops! Sorry about that - hit enter before I was done typing. Anywho - updated above.

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let you know we released a fix just now for the issue where lengthy Rise courses wouldn't always resume correctly in an LMS.  This update is already available to you in Rise, though you'll need to export a Rise course again to update your existing published output with this new fix. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Ryan,

When a Rise course is hosted in an LMS, learners can exit and resume with their progress intact. The course will automatically pick up where they left off. Web-only courses will always start over at the beginning. 

It sounds like you'd be interested in a resume feature for Web-only courses--I can pass that idea along to our product team for you. Thanks for checking it all out!

Ryan DeWitt

Thank you for the quick response.   I understand that this is a newer product, however It was not clear that this was an LMS only feature.

Being a Storyline developer for 5 years, with the ability to create html5 learning with cached session information, I assumed that a product that shows and displays a learner's progress would have a saved (locally) state and naturally be an inherent feature of the software for web deployment.

Unfortunatly, we do not use an LMS for this complimentary customer offering. 

Is there an official ticket I can submit to get this feature added or a work around.  

Thanks again.  I really do love using Rise.  

Alyssa Gomez

I'm really sorry for the confusion, Ryan. I can definitely understand where you're coming from. Here's our documentation on Rise's resume feature. 

You can always submit your ideas using our feature request form, but I've already submitted this one on your behalf! And in case you're wondering, here's how we manage all the great ideas we receive from the community. ☺️

J C

Hi, I exported my course as a No LMS - web only and uploaded into course sites for testing. The resume did not work when I logged in and logged out using a student account. When I re-logged in using the student account and clicked on the link, the course is reset. Is there anything else I should be doing to let the user pick up from where he left off?

Thanks.

Hi Ann-Marie,

I just saw your other post too - is the Resume function not working strictly in the SF Mobile app? Our team is aware of some odd issues in the app with scrolling and we've reached out to the SF support team to work on that, but I haven't heard of issues with Resume yet. 

Does the course not launch at all? Or does it just always start over? Does SF resume outside of the mobile app? 

Ann-Marie Pickles

Hi Ashley

The resume function is in the SF mobile app for AICC.

The course just always starts over. 

We can't test the AICC format outside the app as SF loads in IE11 on desktop and doesn't work. We are aware Articulate is trying to resolve this issue with IE11. 

We've tested AICC on the SF app and it is scrolling and showing completion so if the resume function is fixed we can then use two packages, SCORM for desktop and AICC for mobile.

Kevin Fox

Hi, 

I have been reading through this thread and it appears to be relevant to an issue I am having. I have published a Rise course to LMS using scorm and from what I can make out is that there is no option but to resume from where you left off with this format.

Can I just ask is this correct? 

Is there plans for adding a resume prompt option?

Thanks

Hi Kevin,

You got it! The Rise content will always resume if you're hosting in a  Learning Management System (LMS) and the LMS supports the resume/bookmarking behavior. 

Are you looking for a similar prompt to what you've seen in Storyline and/or Studio - where it asks the learner if they'd like to resume and they have the option to start the course over? I’ll be happy to pass your thoughts on to our product team, also feel free to detail them more through a feature request!

Marie-Pierre Dionne

What is the recommended settings for RISE in an LMS to resume.  Do you have an image of the resume settings?  That would really be helpful.  I followed the link to the resume settings above...but just got this message:

Can learners exit Rise courses and resume where they left off?
Yes, when a Rise course is hosted in an LMS, learners can exit and resume with their progress intact. The course will automatically pick up where they left off.

Web-only courses will always start over at the beginning.

Not too helpful.