25 Replies
E & C Admin

Do you have any experience of people exporting xAPI courses from Rise into LearnDash. I am curious because someone (Dennis Hall) from our LearnDash group on Facebook said there were some problems. This is what he said:

Right now, I'm working with Articulate engineers to fix Rise because they are only using the ADL SCORM to xAPI packager with Rise (this is a big fail on their part). This is not the same as with Storyline.

With my own products that I develop, Rise will not work. The issue is not with GrassBlade, LearnDash, or my own xAPI products for the (other) LMS, it is with Rise xAPI published output.

Articulate had a couple of SaaS LMS vendors modify their platforms to work with the ADL SCROM wrapper, but this is not the correct fix for Rise, they need to fix Rise, not the xAPI compliant LMS systems.

Thanks, Barry

E & C Admin

Thanks Leslie for responding. It doesn't seem to directly address the concern Dennis brought up above though. I am not going to export as web only because there are a number of limitations to doing it that way. I want to export it as xAPI, but if I can't I will do it as SCORM. I already know that something like Grassblade is needed with Storyline xAPI export into Learndash. My question is: will this fail with RISE? Barry

Leslie McKerchie

I misunderstood your original question Barry.

As Ashley shared above, this is now supported.

I have not seen reports of issues.

I'm not sure when that information (that you quoted above) was posted nor do I see an active support case that I could take a look at for reference.

I would encourage you to try it. If you run into issues, then test via SCORM Cloud as this helps determine if the issue lies within the LMS or the software. If you are able to replicate issues in SCORM Cloud, we would be happy to take a look.

If you have something already that needs to be looked into, feel free to share with our team directly here as well.

E & C Admin

Thanks Leslie for taking the time to respond. I will try it and let you know via your team if there are problems. Barry

The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please delete the message and immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error.

E & C Admin

Oh, that post I referenced was from last week. Here is original: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1020920397944393/permalink/1404017312968031/

You may be interested in reading it since it calls into question the way Rise is publishing in xAPI.

Thank so much for your time!

:)

The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please delete the message and immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error.

James Ringrose

Hi,

Anyone had luck with Rise/Learning locker? 

I am struggling to set the Record store data in the tc-config.js that RISE creates - it is exported blank.

Assume it's something like:

TC_RECORD_STORES = [{
endpoint: "http://22.344.35.549/data/xAPI/statements",
version: "1.0.1",
auth: "Basic MTE4ZjcyZTI3MjU3YTBhNzUw",
Content-Type: "application/json"
}]

Just get a... 

Could do with some doc on RISE and Tin Can!

Thoughts anyone?

Angie Dobberfuhl

Hi!

I am currently a participant in the Torrance learning cohort and I am testing a rise module with scorm cloud. 

I am having issues tracking my activities because the object code is not human readable.  I am currently matching the code to the activity using the tincan.xml file. 

Is there a way to track the objects easily so that I can tell which activities are being launched, experienced or attempted?

Thanks

Jeff Batt

James,

So I was just looking into this. I found this to work. You will need to enter in your own endpoint and username/password of course. So far it only works when I upload it to an LMS but it does still send statements to an external LRS so that is a plus :) Hope that helps. 

TC_RECORD_STORES = [{
"endpoint": "https://cloud.scorm.com/tc/CJ0NK8AJKV/sandbox/",
"auth": "Basic " + toBase64('username:password'),
}]
Dave Rosenfeld

This was an update from February 23rd. 

February 23, 2018
Enhanced: Tin Can API (xAPI) courses no longer require a learning management system (LMS). You can now host xAPI courses on any server and report statements to a learning record store (LRS).

Does this mean Rise Courses produce their own xAPI statements?  I tried Jeff's advice above and still no luck.  What did this update even mean?  Thanks!

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Dave.  Thanks for asking - this looks like a good opportunity for us to add some documentation for this enhanced feature, so thanks for bringing it up.

That update will allow a Rise xAPI course to run in any context, e.g. in an iframe on a blog, or in an LMS. It will send the statements to an LRS that is configured by sending a query string in the format shown here with some slight differences in the URL.

You would use 

https://yourlms.com/lms/path/to/sco/index.html?...

with your context information replacing yourlms.com/lms/path/to/sco , and the same encoded string described in the article I linked following the question mark.  Most LMSs build that string if they support xAPI. It is a more manual process when embedding courses in areas that are not a typical LMS.

Let me know how you're making out starting with that information, and we'll go from there!