Rise: Unable to upload video

Mar 29, 2017

Hello dear collegues,

I am working in Google Chrome (latest version,  57.0.2987.110 (64-bit)) as an authoring browser for Rise.

I added a video component to my course, but when uploading a video (39 sec, 5.49 MB, format .mp4) I repeatedly get an error message, please see the screenshot below:

How do I overcome it and upload my video?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Irina

26 Replies
Irina Poloubessov

Dear Wendy,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I followed Articulate recommendation to use the browser supported for authoring courses:

https://articulate.com/support/article/System-Requirements-for-Rise#authoring-content

My other browser (IE 11) is not yet supported at all so I downloaded latest Chrome version, as advised in the link above.

My internet seems to work fine (could upload my profile picture, course components besides video can be added ok)

Very confusing :)

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Wendy,

I tried with another .mp4 video and it worked! Maybe different software exproting to .mp4 format creates some differences inside videos, which creates failures.

For anybody that might be interested:

.mp4 exported from Adobe Flash worked without problem

.mp4 exported from online converter failed

Thank you so much!

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Ashley,

This would be actually great - the video which failed to be uploaded was saved from youtube in supported .mp4 format by this online converter:

https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter

Compared to that, another video exported from Movie Maker in .mp4 format worked fine.

Maybe it would be possible to check the robustness of .mp4 formats created from different converters? I am sending the failed-to-be uploaded video to the address you provided.

Thanks a lot!!

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Wendy

Unfortunately I have to take back my happy end: the behavior of this video lacks determinism )

When I upload it through creating a new Block in Rise , via Multimedia and video -- it uploads fine.

When I try to upload it through regular Video component of the lesson - it fails with the same error message "There was an issue uploading. Please try again."

I had to write again to support with this issue and hopefully it will be resolved finally.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Irina for continuing to keep us posted and working with Angelo. I see that he tested another video from YouTube using the same video converter you had mentioned, and that one worked fine. So he suggested doing some additional testing on different video files using that converter or a different converter entirely (I tend to use Handbrake - https://handbrake.fr/) - but I'll let him test your newest Rise course link out as well and keep an eye on the case! 

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Ashley,
I appreciate a lot your and Angelo's time for helping out.
A useful tip from him I would like to quote here, in case anyone needs too (meaning conversion might be totally avoided often at all):

"You can directly embed a YouTube video or other videos hosted online to your Rise course via the URL/Embed feature.

Just simply click on "Add Content" then select "URL/Embed" and paste the URL or the iFrame code of the video you want to add to your course".

It just worked wonders for me with this troublesome video!

Roesel Rosales

I encountered the same issue while trying to upload a video in MP4 format with a Russian title. I tried uploading it several times but kept getting the same message. At first I thought it was because the video is too big. I then tried to rename the file in English and removed any special characters from the title, it worked! I think RISE doesn't recognize non-ASCII characters. I hope this helps.

Graeme Foulds

Can I ask for some clarity on what exactly happens to an mp4 file when one shares a link to a Rise course?  Is it automatically uploaded onto Articulate's server?  I have a course that includes a video clip that I need to distribute to staff working from home, as I am, via the Rise Share link.  However, I'm unsure whether the mp4 file that is sitting on my hard drive will open for them on their PCs when they click the link.

Thanks.

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Graeme!

Yes, any MP4 video you upload to your Rise 360 course will play for anyone viewing the Share link or a link from your web server. 

Share links can still be used to share your content. Just keep in mind that viewing a course via a share link is not a long-term hosting solution. Also, a shared course doesn’t track your learners’ progress. When they leave and come back, they have to start over.

A better solution would be to publish the course for web or LMS, and host it on your own server or learning management system. This article explains how to export a Rise 360 course and includes video tutorials for some free hosting options, such as Amazon S3 and Google Cloud. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Aislyn!

Sorry you're having trouble uploading a video file. Can you tell me more about what's going on?

• What web browser are you using?
  • Can you successfully upload the video if you use a different browser?
  • Does this problem happen with all video files or just one in particular?

If you can share a copy of your video file with us here, that would be helpful!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.