RISE. What is the LMS launch file in the published course, published in AICC, published in SCORM2004?

Jul 08, 2017

About me > I have much experience with Articulate Presenter and Storyline 2 using AICC publishes - working in our SuccessFactors LMS.

NOW...  We are very excited to use RISE and am spending the weekend experimenting with  it and am uploading published RISE test courses in AICC and SCORM2004 (edition 4).

BUT

I cannot find a clear launch file for our SuccessFactors LMS in the published (exported) RISE course. 

For AICC exports, there is no index_lms.html.  And no index_lms_html5.html for mobile access.  I have also tried the yourcourse.au file in the root of the published directory as the launch file and the /scormdriver/indexAPI.html.  None of those work. 

For SCORM2004 exports I have no idea of what is the LMS launch file. 

I cannot even find the file that you click on to launch the course  viewing the course outside of the LMS, like what you can do for Presenter and Storylines...(presenter.html, or story.html)

Can anyone orient me on this ?

36 Replies
Justin Grenier

Greetings, David.

In most Learning Management Systems, you don’t have to manually point to a specific file to launch content, as long as that content is compliant with SCORM, AICC, or xAPI. You simply upload a compliant zip file, and if the LMS is compliant with the same standard, it knows where to look to find the files that launch the content.

For example, the AICC Packaging Specification says that the .au file (at the root of the zip file) tells the LMS everything it needs to know about how to launch and track the content.

If you are using an AICC LMS that needs to be manually told where to find the assignable unit in a Rise course, it is located at ⁠⁠⁠scormdriver/indexAPI.html⁠⁠⁠, but I’m a little nervous that the LMS may not pick up everything it needs to know from that file.  Contrast this with testing your content at SCORM Cloud and you'll see how streamlined the process can be.

If you're still stuck, I'd recommend reaching out to SuccessFactors for specific instructions.  Good luck with your project!

Alice Jefferson

Hi  David --  Please share whatever you find?   I am testing the SF mobile app.  I was able to get the scormdriver/indexAPI.html to work with SCORM 2004  but that doesn't launch in the SF mobile app. 

I switched to SCORM 1.2 will not load the course.

I switch to AICC and appears to work but the course doesn't bookmark

Here is some information on scorm driver and it appears we need to setup how it works.  Rise does not appear to do this work.  Check out----

https://scorm.com/scorm-solved/scorm-driver/

david varga

Hi Justin,

No real help from SF. On a laptop tried the below situations and for each
of them when launching the course, got a 404 error.

Reviewing.. for RISE AICC publish, tried pointing the LMS to

1. just the published directory (with the .au file in the root)
2. pointed to the .au file
3. pointed to the scormdriver/index.API.html file (oh the irony of the
AICC launch file being in a subdirectory named scormdriver!)

For RISE SCORM2004 edition 4 publish tried

1. just to the published directory, again to let the LMS find the file
it is looking for
2. pointed to the scormdriver/index.API.html file
3. I cannot help but note that in this SCORM4.4 publish there is an
AICCCom.html file in the scormdriver subdirectory!

I have a few years of publishing Presenters and Storylines to the LMS. I
am surprised at how mysterious it is to get RISE and SF to talk to one
another.

Best,
Dave Varga
New York Life

david varga

Alice,

You are further along than we are and are successful at least with a
desktop/laptop from what you said.

We tried and were not successful, we got a 404 error for all the below...

For RISE AICC publish, tried pointing the LMS to

1. just the published directory (with the .au file in the root)
2. pointed to the .au file
3. pointed to the scormdriver/index.API.html file (oh the irony of the
AICC launch file being in a subdirectory named scormdriver!)

For RISE SCORM2004 edition 4 publish tried

1. just to the published directory, again to let the LMS find the file
it is looking for
2. pointed to the scormdriver/index.API.html file
3. I cannot help but note that in this SCORM4.4 publish there is an
AICCCom.html file in the scormdriver subdirectory!

I have a few years of publishing Presenters and Storylines to the LMS. I
am surprised at how mysterious it is to get RISE and SF to talk to one
another.

Thanks for the URL, I will look at it again. However I find it very
bothersome that I would have to scrounge around with some other intervening
entity to get RISE and the LMS to talk to one another.

Best,
Dave Varga
New York Life

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dave, 

I'm sorry that this is still causing you such trouble! Are you not able to launch it from your desktop browsers either? Did you look at testing it in SCORM Cloud as Justin recommended to make sure everything was good in your Rise file? 

If you'd like us to give it a test there, our Support Engineers are at the ready here.  They'll send you directions on how to share the Rise course with them. 

david varga

Hi Ashley, Hi Justin,

To be clear what I just did. I place the RISE published course (after I
unzipped the published zip) into a containing folder such as
'course.rise.aicc'. I then zip that directory and upload that to SCORM
CLOUD.

I published the RISE course, which was the wellness course in three ways.
As (1) SCORM 1.2, (2) SCORM 2004, edition 4 & (3) AICC.

I uploded all three to SCORM CLOUD. I then got completions in all three

- as a user
- recorded in their SCORM CLOUD LMS.

Of course, SCORM CLOUD does not actually indicate what the launch file is
in the published directory, their LMS figures it out. Now if I published an
Articulate Presenter or Articulate Storyline 2 course in SCORM or AICC, we
would know what the launch file would be. It would be in the root of the
containing folder and it would be index

david varga

Hi Ashley, Hi Justin,

To be clear what I just did. I place the RISE published course (after I
unzipped the published zip) into a containing folder such as
'course.rise.aicc'. I then zip that directory and upload that to SCORM
CLOUD.

I published the RISE course, which was the wellness course in three ways.
As (1) SCORM 1.2, (2) SCORM 2004, edition 4 & (3) AICC.

I uploded all three to SCORM CLOUD. I then got completions in all three

- as a user
- recorded in their SCORM CLOUD LMS.

Of course, SCORM CLOUD does not actually indicate what the launch file is
in the published directory, their LMS figures it out. Now if I published an
Articulate Presenter or Articulate Storyline 2 course in SCORM or AICC, we
would know what the launch file would be. It would be in the root of the
containing folder and it would be index

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi David,

Thanks for the additional information, and I'm sorry you're still coming up against roadblocks here.

I talked with my team and they also reached out to our contact at SuccessFactors (SF). When they attempted uploading the Rise AICC courses into SuccessFactors they encountered an error similar to this one.  SuccessFactors support shared that the issue happens when the content and the LMS are served under the same domain, and you'll see that error was for Internet Explorer 11. 

We do have this error message reported to our team, and I'll keep you posted here with any additional information.

So the combination of Rise + AICC + SuccessFactors + Chrome - should all work normally. 

Are you having difficulty in browsers besides IE11? Have you connected with SF Support about those issues?

david varga

Ashley, New news! As you conveyed - Only in chrome do I now get this to work - it will not work in IE, I get an error message. Successfully did an AICC completed/ incomplete publish. It worked in the course and in the
LMS it registered a completion. As most of our users are on ie11, this remains a problem....

Rebekah Massmann

Here are the steps we have to follow. Note it still doesn't record in IE. The only way we can get Rise to work in all browsers with SuccessFactors is to store them on icontent (vs. our internal server) and publish in SCORM. 

Peek or Rise files:

1. Publish file/export file from Articulate website, unzip.
  2. Go into the AICC Relay folder from the published output. Copy the relay.php file into the scormdriver folder.
  3. Open the .au file in Notepad and change the URL within the quotes to point to the place where your course is housed. For example, "https://lms.yourdomain.com/folderpath/foldername/scormdriver/relay.php"
  4. Place your files, if you haven't already, on your network/LMS.
  5. Use the AICC Import Tool in SuccessFactors to import the 4 AICC course files (.au, .crs, etc.). Then just follow the prompts to create the content object and item. 

Hope this helps!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.