Saving Participants' Input Data in a Rise Course?

Jan 09, 2020

Hello - I'm looking for a cloud-based participant guide where participants can access via their computer or phone. I was thinking of using Rise to create job aids or guides, as well as to link out to other resources. But, does Rise have the capability to store participants' inputted text if we deliver the Rise course through a LMS that the participants sign into?

If not, does anyone know of any other tools that participants can 1) have their own account, 2) open up fillable worksheets that an administrator uploads, 3) save their data to revisit later? 

Thanks! 

8 Replies
John Cooper

I'm not sure if this helps at all - it's not exactly what you are looking for, but there are two things we have done in RISE for clients recently:

1) added a Storyline block which has a slider-based survey which the learner can complete and gets the responses and results as a downloadable pdf at the end of the survey

2) created a downloadable notebook or learning journal that the learner can add to during the RISE course and, again, is downloadable at the end of the course. (this uses browser 'local storage' as RISE doesn't have variables)

Again, 2) uses Storyline blocks to capture the learner input - so you present something, then invite the learner to make notes and then at the end of the course the learner can click a button to download the notes - including their input - as a pdf.

In both cases, the pdf is created from a pdf form template which is picked up and populated by the JavaScript code in the Storyline blocks, The advantage of this is that you can create ANY pdf form and, so long as you use the field names in the code you don't have to make changes to the JavaScript

Here's a couple of demos that shows what I'm talking about:

https://demo12.profilelearning.com

https://demo9.profilelearning.com

Demonstration 9 is the Storyline version but it works if used in a RISE course. I will create a RISE demo of this and load it to our site if anyone would like to see that.

As I say - not an exact match to your requirements - but it does perhaps point in a direction you might explore (updating Googledocs rather than a pdf, for example).

Regards...

Will Grasse

Our company could really use this feature. We are teaching/testing General Managers how to properly fill out a security form. We really don't want to resort to embedding something like Microsoft Forms or Click Monkey in the Rise course. I can see adding a Storyline block, but how do you track what the user has entered?

John Cooper

Hi Will

We have done a number of projects now (including form filling apps) where we:

(a) Create a pdf form template

(b) Use a Storyline block that allows the user to fill out the required fields (we have used text, numeric and sliders mainly to collect the input)

(c) Add the JavaScript code to open the pdf form template (using the pdf-lib JavaScript library) and fill out the form which the user can then download as a completed pdf

(d) Email a copy of the form created to the course tutor using an intermediary email service (i.e. a route-through email API)

But what we haven't yet done is a project where the user responses are sent using xAPI to an LRS nor have we done projects involving filling out Google Docs or other forms of cloud data storage I would be interested if others have used these methods to capture the user input in some way.