SCORM Rise course not loading

Feb 04, 2019

We have a case of a Rise course not loading. We are using moodle LMS and loading the course as Scorm.

In our case all other users can access the content, and the users affected report that initially they could load the content before the course was updated, but now can not.

Clearing a persons results seems to work.

The error it gives is:

main.bundle.js:119 TypeError: Cannot read property 'index' of undefined
at main.bundle.js:6
at t (main.bundle.js:6)
at new n (main.bundle.js:119)
at pn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Nn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Dn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Zn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Jn (main.bundle.js:119)
at yr (main.bundle.js:119)
at vr (main.bundle.js:119)
Fn @ main.bundle.js:119
12:47:16.852 main.bundle.js:6 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'index' of undefined
at main.bundle.js:6
at t (main.bundle.js:6)
at new n (main.bundle.js:119)
at pn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Nn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Dn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Zn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Jn (main.bundle.js:119)
at yr (main.bundle.js:119)
at vr (main.bundle.js:119)

49 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for verifying that, Helen! I have a few more questions for you:

• What is the scope of your edits to your existing course? For example, are you adding new lessons and content? Are you simply editing text and media? Are you changing the completion or reporting details?
  • How did you upload the new version to your LMS? Does your LMS have an option to update an existing course?
  • When you uploaded the new version, did you have the option in your LMS to clear the existing suspend data for users who have already started the last version of the course? If so, did you clear it?
  • What LMS do you use?
iQ Performance and Development

Hey Alyssa,

The edits would be relatively minor - bits of new text or updated graphics - at most we've removed a few blocks from a lesson but we wouldn't have added new lessons. And the course we're currently having the issue with doesn't have a quiz so the reporting is just based on 100% completion, no changes there.

We're currently using Fuse and there is a update function but no remove suspend data option. In fact our only current way around this issue is ignore the update option, create a whole new course and import results from the old one for users who have completed it. 

Nathan Mcilree

@Alyssa - my guess is that this issue occurs when a SCORM structure is accidentally changed so that when the continue data is sent to newly updated SCORM it does not recognise the internal identifiers and throws a Javascript error preventing the load of the SCORM ( you can see this if you look in the console log within developer tools ).

Your developers who generate the Javascript that powers the SCORM functionality would most likely need to update the handling of this error so that rather than showing a blank screen it treats the attempt as a new attempt ( preferably with some kind of notification this is happening - "sorry we were unable to load your course from where you left of etc . . . . " )

Alex Gonzalez

I have this problem with a Rise course. I have included a few paragraphs and replaced a few images and, when trying to update, Moodle just shows the course blank. However, this was the fourth time I did something like that. Previous updates didn't cause this problem. I know that if I reset all attempts, the course will work just fine, but this is a terrible solution.

Last reply is 8 months old and this issue has been around for years. Any fix for this by Articulate? Is it even in the roadmap?

Thanks

Edit:

For this update of my course, I created a clone project of the previous one and applied minor changes over the clone. This wasn't recognized as the same SCORM by Moodle. However, I took the previous one, replicated the changes there and it worked. The lesson here is that Rise is not friends with versioning, which otherwise it is a good habit.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi, everyone! I wanted to share a recent change we made in Rise 360.

Some learners would see a blank page upon resuming a course you've updated in your LMS. You can now choose to reset learner progress when they launch a course. Click here for more information.

Let us know if you have any questions about this enhancement! 

Erin Sawicki

Hello, I'm wondering if Lori's issue has been a persistent or common issue (with a common/known fix). I'm also experiencing an issue with revised Rise courses not loading for users who are trying to re-launch them from their History in our LMS. The issue occurs even when the course is exported using the new "Reset Learner Progress" option. The course does not load at all due a JavaScript error that's being thrown (seen attached image of console error).

Thanks!

John Doyle

Hi everyone - A client asked for help this week with a blank Rise SCORM 1.2 package in a Moodle 3.6 instance. I'm unaware if the loaded package was an update vs. first-time load, but during initial review, noticed no enrolled users and hadn't previously helped them with this package. The issue was reported and reproduced while using an unenrolled site administrator account. Errors in main.js were logged to the console. 

After finding this thread and others, we got past the issue through some combination of the following steps, in this order:

- Cleared browser cache
    - On retest, course still launched blank
- Changed certain attempt-related SCORM settings in Moodle for the blank SCORM activity to temporarily force attempt completion:
     - Attempt Management > Force new attempt: Yes
     - Compatibility Settings > Force completed: Yes
     - On retest, course appeared
- Changed settings back to original values
     - Course continues to appear with no issues for multiple enrolled users

John - jdoyle@syllametrics.com

Rod Spears
John Doyle
Changed certain attempt-related SCORM settings in Moodle for the blank SCORM activity to temporarily force attempt completion:
     - Attempt Management > Force new attempt: Yes
     - Compatibility Settings > Force completed: Yes
     - On retest, course appeared
- Changed settings back to original values
     - Course continues to appear with no issues for multiple enrolled users

John, what happened to people who started an attempt before you made these changes? Were they required to start a new attempt? For example, if they spent 30 minutes working on that first attempt, would they lose that progress and have to start over? 

Suziana Ahmed Shukor

Hi 

We face similar problems. After updating a new course authored in Rise, 2 types of learners are affected:

1) Learners who are in progress of completing the course

2) Learners who have completed the old version

Both groups of learners face a blank page when they try to acccess the updated version.

There are only two solutions: a) publish the course as 'new' b) forced new attempt - both solutions mean deleting learning data.

Therefore, have to think carefully when we update Rise course. Terrible solutions.

Any advice from Articulate staff is highly appreciated on how best to address this issue. Course evaluation and amendments is part of digital learning project life cycle. 

Matthew Uhrich
Course evaluation and amendments is part of digital learning project life cycle. 

THIS - we have ended up hosting these as linked webpages to get around it but we do lose some functionality (can't remember where a learner left off).  There must be a better solution than deleting data. 

Suziana Ahmed Shukor

Yes. I did. That's the thing I need to find. Rise has 'lessons' and 'blocks'. If we change 'lessons', we end up with a blank screen. But if we change 'blocks' without changing 'lessons', do we still have blank screens? 

I have highlighted this issue as 'risk' in my course review strategy. If my managers are not keen to loose the data, then I have to create 'new' courses rather than 'updated' courses. 

The early courses were authored using Adapt and somehow these courses can be updated with no blank screen issue. Adapt is not as intuitive as RIse (due to SL block) but if it ticks 2 boxes for me: a) accessibility b) version control, I'm afraid, we may retain our Adapt and ditch Rise eventually although I have fought hard to buy Rise.

Suziana Ahmed Shukor

I have identified this issue in my content strategy. So far, I know and have used one authoring tool which does not have this issue as it pushes updates straight to the LMS without the need to upload the new SCORM file.

There are many barriers we, digital LDs need to overcome, to disseminate our content. The expectation is extremely high. Hope Articulate people can solve the updated version issue. Soon. 

Karl Muller

Hi Suziana,

If you change the structure of the course when there are students that have an "in progress" or "completed" status, you will most likely experience the blank screen issue.

The reason for this lies with the student data that was saved in a previous learning session. That data was saved using the old course structure.

Now you make edits to the course and upload a new SCORM with a different structure, for example, you deleted Lesson 3, moved lesson 2 to become Lesson 6, added a new Lesson 2, etc.

A student returns to continue an incomplete course, and Rise tries to load the progress data back, and it seems Rise gets stuck because it cannot match the old data to the new structure.

If you change content within an existing Lesson, you should not have the blank screen issue. We make block content changes and republish all of the time without any blank screen problems.