Several Lessons Disappeared

Jan 21, 2017

I have worked all day on Rise and was essentially finished a module - then 3 main lessons just disappeared??????

28 Replies
Brenda Stutsky

I have even gone to another computer - a whole day of work is gone. I have submitted a request to Customer Service and it was noted that the Engineers only work Monday to Friday - I want to know if Articulate can restore it? I have gone through my browser history and all versions just go to the same page - essentially the last 6 hours of work gone.

Brenda Stutsky

Thanks - would not be that bad if I had a copy of what was inputted. I created all of the missing lessons using multiple references and it will not be that easy to recreate.

This email and/or any documents in this transmission is intended for the addressee(s) only and may contain legally privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, copying or dissemination is strictly prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and return the original.

Ce courriel et tout document dans cette transmission est destiné à la personne ou aux personnes à qui il est adressé. Il peut contenir des informations privilégiées ou confidentielles. Toute utilisation, divulgation, distribution, copie, ou diffusion non autorisée est strictement défendue. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, veuillez en informer l'expéditeur immédiatement et lui remettre l'original.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for reaching out here and I see you also posted in this forum discussion. I wanted to let you know that we've got your Support case (#00994205 for my reference) and our team will be in touch about next steps with your files. We'll also keep you posted in this forum discussion and as a part of your Support case as our Engineers dig into this issue with your Rise courses. 

Justin Grenier

Hey, Brenda.

Thanks so much for working with us privately to restore your course today. It looks like you're in good shape to complete your content this afternoon.

To reiterate our email conversation, it seems that the problem may have happened when the course was open in multiple tabs, and it looks like an older version of the course became saved on top of the latest version of your course. The lost content could also have been caused by using the back button, as Amanda suggested.

In any event, those are common behaviors that we want to protect against, so we're working on permanent fixes that will prevent data loss in the future.

Thanks again for working with us as we restored your course, and I do apologize for the trouble.

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Adam, 
My course from Rise has disappeared too: I was working on it, then clicked my profile to change my profile picture, and when I reopened Rise - my course was gone!  I had only one Chrome browser tab opened and I just navigated away to change my profile photo.

I haven't noticed any SAVE button when working on my course. I assumed it worked as GoogleDocs, when any changes made are automatically stored and do not require special saving.
Is that true?

How can I be sure that my work in progress is ALWAYS saved ?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Irina,

I'm so sorry to hear your Rise course disappeared; I know that had to be frustrating. Recently Justin provided some helpful information about lost work in Rise, so I wanted to share that with you here:

Why was your work lost in Rise?

We're seeing work lost in Rise when an older (or different) version of a course is saved on top of the current version of the course.  Most often, this seems to happen when the course author (1) has a course open in multiple tabs (or multiple browsers), or (2) when using the back button.  We think these are both reasonable things for course authors to do, and we think that customers should expect us to safeguard their data when they do either of these things.  So, we view this as a bug.

What are we doing to prevent lost work?

We're introducing a new course locking feature that will prevent work from being lost in this way. Moving forward, Rise will prevent course authors from inadvertently editing courses in more than one place, and we're hopeful that we can release this feature by early April.

Fortunately, there's hope for the work you lost! With very few exceptions, when a customer has lost work due to the bug Justin described, we've been able to dig through backups and transaction logs to successfully recover the content.  Send us a recovery request here, and we'll do what we can to try and recover your lost work!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as our team worked through this one. A Rise course can only be opened and edited in one browser window, so if you had used the back browser button or tried to open it in another window or tab it was resulting in that loss of data, but we just pushed out a fix for that issue!  The full list of Rise updates in this release are in our version history here.

Now, when you open a course that's already being edited in another browser window, you’ll have the option to take control of the course. Taking control immediately locks the first version of the course. This prevents one version from accidentally overwriting the other, which could cause data loss.

If you'd like to refer to an existing lesson while you're building another lesson in the same course, use the shareable web link for your course to view it in one browser window while you're editing it in another.

Thanks again, and let us know if you need anything else! 

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Ashley
Thank you very much for the update!

I tested my course by editing in two different browsers and it works!

Could you please tell whether there is also a use-case for the Take Control button with the browser Back button pressed at some point?  Or is it safe now to use Back button anyway, at any moment through navigating within course (maybe not immediately, but for example navigating from the course to my profile, and only then pressing Back), profile, settings etc. 

Thanks a lot!!

Jessica  Vanik

Hi Ashley,

For the past few days I continue to get the "Take Control" screen while I'm working in Rise, however, I don't have Rise open in another browser when it happens.

I noticed the "Take Control" message appearing more frequently around 6:00pm PDT on Wednesday evening, 7/5, so at that time, I closed out of the tool and restarted my computer. When I logged back in I saw a "BRB message" indicating that Rise was undergoing routine system maintenance.

Since the maintenance window ended the "Take Control" message continues to happen intermittently throughout the day. It's becoming quite the nuisance as it reverts me back to my course landing page each time it happens, and I'm concerned about losing work.

My restarts and log outs of Rise doesn't seem to be resolving the issue. Any thoughts about what might be causing it? Is this currently a known issue?

Thanks!

Molly

lisa gearhart

Hi Ashley,

I am having the same issue as Molly. For the past week, I have been getting the "Take Control" screen while I am working in Rise although I do not have it open in another browser. During the past hour, I received the message five times.

This is slowing down my work and causing errors.

What is causing this issues and how can it be resolved?

Thanks,

LIsa

Eduscape Partners

Over the past two days, I have been receiving the "take control" message as well. I can log in to my account and open a course, but when I try to edit anything, it freezes and I get the control message. I have confirmed that I am not logged in anywhere else, but my name and user avatar keeps showing up next to the lessons that I'm editing. I thought it was an issue with a corrupted course, so I deleted what I was working on and tried to start over. I'm still getting stuck. I'm not sure what else to do. Hope you can help!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Erin!

Really sorry you're getting hung up--you came to the right place for help.

What web browser were you using when this happened? Also, would you be willing to let us do some testing inside your course?

Simply reach out to us here, and send the Rise "Share" link. Also, if this problem happens with a particular lesson in the course, let us know which lesson is causing trouble. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.