Sharing a Rise course with team member

Oct 19, 2018

How come that a course developed by me, then copied and shared with a team member suddenly is owned by this team member and I no longer can access the settings? I'm the (team) account owner and is also administrator. 

12 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Per,

Did you send a teammate a copy or invite them as a collaborator? 

If you sent a copy to another Rise user, you'll each maintain your own separate copies. If you invite another Teams user to collaborate on a course, you'd remain the course owner until you changed that and assigned it to someone else.

You can read more about the differences between Send a Copy or Collaborative Authoring here. 

Per Schou-Nielsen

Thanks for your reply, Ashley. Actually, I duplicated the course and invited the other team member to collaborate on the copy. To my knowledge, I haven't changed ownership. It says, when you want to add a collaborator: Add and remove collaborators or transfer course ownership - and then 'invite'. A lot of things you do at the same time - and your course ownership is gone, apparently.

Hi Per,

You can add a collaborator without transferring ownership. Invite is the option to add a collaborator, and Transfer is the option to assign ownership to someone else. 

If you can share the course title and the name of the individual on your team who's been made the owner, I can have our team look into the course. That way we can narrow down anything strange that may have happened! 

Hi Per,

Thanks for sharing the course title - and am I correct that you sent this to your colleague Tom Gregerson? I'm having my team take a look but in the meantime, that link is specific to you as the author and not the Share link to your course so that I could view it.

If you can follow the steps here to share a copy of it, I'll also be able to see who the owner is on that version of the course. 

Let me know and I'll be in touch as soon as I have more info from my team! 

Hi Per,

I checked in with my team, and they didn't see anything unusual happening in the feature to invite a collaborator or transfer ownership. 

If you see these options at the top of your Rise course, that would indicate you're still the course owner:

If you both see the above options, did you duplicate the course or send a copy to your colleague?

When you go to invite collaborators to the course you'll see that appear as this first image:

And then, transferring ownership is a second pop up shown below:

With that setup, it seems unlikely that you did it by mistake since it is prompting you for confirmation. If your colleague Tom is the owner, he could follow these steps to transfer it back to you. 

Let me know if you need any other help! 

Per Schou-Nielsen

It is strange: I added the screenshot to show what Rise is doing when I click the collaborator button in a random course (as an example). It should be obvious that I'm not able to show that in the course I invited my team member to collaborate in - because I do not have the ownership anymore!

Maybe I have trouble with your English but it seems to me that you are not addressing my issue. I wanted to show you that Rise only give me the option of inviting a team member and when I do so I do not own the course anymore.

I open my course (owned by me)

I click settings (which I can't do in a course I do not own)

I click collaborator(s)

I type the e-mail of my team member

Click Invite - the only choice I have (as shown in my screen shot example)

... and the course is owned by my team member.

?

A very simple procedure which I want you to tell my why I - beside inviting my team member - also transfer ownership.

Which I do not want to do.

Thanks

Per

Hi Per,

I'm sorry we're having some difficulty communicating, I had hoped my images would help walk you through what should be happening as I can't recreate what you described. 

Inviting a teammate to collaborate should not transfer ownership. That's a separate step shown in my images.  Sending a copy to a teammate would allow you to both to be owners on a course - your colleague would have a duplicate copy of it. 

You mentioned sharing a screenshot here and I didn't see it.  Perhaps you sent it as a part of an email reply? Instead, can you click here to visit the discussion and include it in the reply using the option to insert an image or add an attachment?  If you're able, a Peek of the steps you go through when inviting someone to collaborate would be really helpful. 

While we're figuring out what happened and how to fix it -  if you need ownership of this course you'll need to access your colleague to transfer it back to you. 

Hi Per,

Thanks for the video! In that video I can see that you're the course owner with two ways:

• The top bar on the right shows: Settings, Share, Export, Preview  
    Those are all options only for the course owner
  • When you go to invite any collaborators, you'll also see the title owner next to your name

When you start typing your colleagues' name in, invite is the only option you have. Once you've invited him, then you would have the option to Transfer as I showed in the images above. 

If you've already transferred the course to him, you wouldn't see any of those options, although he would! 

Let me know if I'm still missing the mark - but the Peek I think helped! 

Per Schou-Nielsen

It sure did, thanks - however, it does not really explain why the course ownership were tranferred - because I didn't use that option. And you really have to be aware - it is not an option you stumble over. To conclude:  I have been doing some testing during our  conversation and it works as you  describe.  Thanks for your patience.

Hi Per,

You're right, it's not something easily stumbled upon especially with the prompts requesting confirmation to transfer! I did have my team look into the course and they didn't spot anything unusual about it - but we'll keep our eyes out for any other examples where a course is transferred unexpectedly.

Please let me know if you run into any other issues with this, and I'll have my team take a look again! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.