Stopping audio automatically in a Storyline interaction embedded in Rise

Jan 17, 2020

Hi there Heroes! I've been building a promotional piece in Rise to showcase my company's custom content development services. A minor annoyance we've run into is that when an embedded Storyline interaction includes audio, the audio continues to play even when the person viewing the promo moves along to another example. We're currently mitigating this by adding a note for the user to pause the audio before moving to the next example.

Currently all embedded Storyline interactions are in the same lesson in Rise, with Continue blocks between each. We were hoping to use this structure to allow promo viewers to move back and forth through our examples in a continuous vertical scroll.

I tried adding a "pause media" trigger in Storyline when an object on the slide loses focus or when the user clicks outside an object on the slide. As I suspected, though, neither "losing focus" nor "clicking outside" is affected by moving along in Rise by clicking the Continue button - they're internal to the embedded Storyline interaction.

I know that the audio will stop when the embedded interactions are in different Rise lessons. At present there is no apparent way to have a Continue block perform this same function. Does anyone have other ideas?

4 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Patrice!

It sounds like you're already following the recommendations we've shared here. You may also want to consider adding one more slide at the end of each Storyline Block. On this slide, you could add simple instructions like, "Please continue" with no audio. This would stop the audio on the previous slide and let the learner know it's okay to move on. 

Would that work for your course?

steve cc

Thanks.  This is a huge need.  I can't overstate the frustration learners have because they don't want to 'pause' the audio.  I would go one step further and say that it is a feature that should have already been added given the length of time that Rise has been around.  It's a great tool, but with limitations like this, it makes it difficult to really promote and use properly.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.