Storyline 360 vs Rise

Nov 09, 2016

I’m familiar with Storyline and Studio, but what is Rise? When would you use Rise rather than Storyline 360 or Studio 360?

157 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Glad that set up within Rise will work for you. I'm not familiar with Padlet, but I know a lot of other forums member discuss LMSs that they use and the pros and cons of each. You may want to search through the Building Better Courses side of the forums or look at posting your own query there to see if anyone has used both of them and could offer you some insight before heading off too far on that new LMS. 

Let us know if you have any other questions as you're working through your Rise courses! 

Hi Valeria,

You can export Rise courses for AICC, SCORM 1.2, and SCORM 2004 4th Edition learning management systems. Just open your Rise course for editing, click Export in the upper right corner of the screen, and choose an LMS specification.

Tin Can API (xAPI) support is coming soon - so we'll keep folks posted on the release date for that once ready! 

Craig Dickinson

We have a training request that the student can choose one of two paths depending on the configuration of equipment at their drive-ins. With Storyline, I can hide the menu and the student selects which configuration to choose their path. Can Rise accommodate that? I've attached a snippet of the Storyline Story View. The two paths eventually come back into a single path and the student can complete the course.

Hi Craig, 

Love that you're looking at creating courses in Rise and providing other options for your learners! It's truly one of the best Articulate 360 benefits, that you can choose the right tool when you need it. The customization of Rise with variables and branching isn't something built in (like you're used to in Storyline), but I know that folks like Zsolt have done some really impressive things inside Rise - so you may want to take a look at what he got started and see if he has any specific feedback that could help you, also the ideas that Adam shared here - hope those help too! You'll see that we've got some creative folks using Rise.

I also found this article on how the Pros are using Storyline vs. Rise really helpful! 

Would love to hear what you come up with and let us know how else we can assist as you dig deeper into all that Articulate 360 has to offer! 

Janet Fearns

Having Articulate 360 gives so many options, would be great if some of the outputs could be integrated such as Review/Rise and Storyline/Rise.

Can you give me a possible time frame as to when Storyline will integrate with Rise?  I need to know whether it would be advisable to  create scenarios in Storyline ready for inclusion into my Rise course for its release in September.

Hi Janet,

I don't have an ETA on the integration of Storyline and Rise, but I know I've used the basic iframe code to insert a Storyline course into Rise. Take a look at this other forum discussion for a few ideas and suggestions on how to insert Storyline into Rise (iframe, direct web link).

We're working on the integration of Rise and Review, and the ETA is in the new few months (within Q2 '17). So we'll keep you posted and you can also keep an eye on the "What's new" page! 

Hope that helps! 

Angi Willis

Steve, It has been a few months since your post - can I ask how has your testing of Rise in your LMS gone? We also do a lot of Compliance training (and other training that has a very brief turnaround) and some of our field users have tablets. I would love to hear what you have found with Rise.

I would also love to hear more about your experience using iSpring, how does it compare to Storyline 360?

Hi Kai, 

There are currently two ways to share Rise courses with learners.

You can send them a shareable link, or if you need to track their progress, you can export your course as an LMS package that can be hosted in your learning management system. The steps are detailed in the links below

Rise also has an Attachment block, take a look at it here! 

Let me know if you need anything else!

Hi Honor,

The Rise Quiz set up allows for a couple different question types as you'll see here. Those will all be in one quiz lesson.

A knowledge check is added as an individual item, but you can keep adding them below the first one so that they all appear as a part of the same lesson. You'll see a quick video on Knowledge Checks here. 

Jen Chingwe

Hi Everyone, Great thread and I know I'm coming late to the party.  I'd like to share a different perspective...I think of Rise as a learning environment which also has some great rapid development tools. So, for me, it's not Storyline vs. Rise, because Rise can include Storyline modules. Instead, I see Rise is an opportunity for IDs to create multiple deliverables using different tools and then organize the content in the Rise learning environment -- which hasn't really been an option before unless you also managed a client's LMS. 

We'd rather have late, than not at all! 😉 Thanks for sharing your perspective here, Jen and welcome to the E-Learning Heroes community! 

It sounds like you've taken a unique path with Rise, I'd love to hear more about it! Even any screenshots or Peek videos may help others looking to accomplish the same type of set up. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Dolores! 

Storyline and Rise are both powerful, responsive tools! If you're unsure of which one would be best for your project, this article is a great place to start. 

Since you mentioned you're looking to teach people how to use a new system, would you be interested in using a screen recording tool? If so, check out Storyline's screen recording feature here. 

I'm curious to see what insights the community will share with you, as well!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.