Suggested image sizes?

Oct 25, 2017

I'm working on my first Rise project and wondering if there are any guidelines/best practices for the image dimensions that work best in Rise. Specifically, I'm trying to put an image on a flashcard and having a hard time getting it to show clearly. 

Just a note - I have no fancy graphic design software. I do all of my amateur design work in PowerPoint.

I did some searching and didn't find anything so I apologize if this is somewhere that I missed. 

15 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Mary Kate, 

No specifics around pixels or ratios - as the images may be cropped based on the device used to view the course. If you have a particular image that you're running into issues with, we're happy to take a look! Can you share the image file here and let us know what lesson type you've included it in? 

Nancy Sheet

Hi, I have a similar question because all of my images are either getting cropped or stretched into fuzziness when I try to use the grid options. It doesn't matter if I choose the two, three, or four column grid options, my images don't look right. There has to be an ideal pixel size where the stretching/cropping won't happen and the image will fit within the frame.

The template image is only 133 x 100px. It's tiny. Is this the recommendation?

FYI, my graphics are largely screen shots or photos of equipment. They aren't high resolution photographs like what is in the content library, which is why it's an issue when Rise stretches them.

What is your recommendation for how to get these photos to look clear and contained within the frame?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Nancy! 

The larger the image size, the better! Anytime an image scales up to fill the container, it's going to lose some quality. You might be able to take a larger screenshot if you zoom in on your screen before capturing the screenshot. 

And don't miss the new built-in cropping tool to create the perfect pictures for your flashcards. 

Briana Goldman

I have a similar question - I have three flashcards and I want each one to have an image the exact same size on the front (circles with a letter in each of them). I've checked the size multiple times in powerpoint, have saved them and given it a try with both JPEGs and PNG files, and no matter what, one of the images on the first card is bigger than the other two. Is this a bug on Rise's end? Would appreciate any advice! 

Briana Goldman

Thanks for being willing to help out! Attached is the screen shot of what I see when I look at the images in the course, and the source files I've tried using. The last slide on the attached powerpoint has the original graphics I pulled from.

Briana Goldman
Manager, Leadership Development
Talent Enablement & Development
Cisco Meraki .:|:.:|:.

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Brianna! Are all three cards set to Centered Image or Full Card Image

Also, would you mind opening this discussion here and attaching the "Torrent" and "Volt" images? I'd like to upload Ignite, Torrent, and Volt to a flashcard block on my side to see if I run into the same issue you're seeing.

PPLS Learning Tech

I have exactly the issue that Mary Kate raises. I want to use flashcards. On the front is a simple slide, and on the reverse some examples. The images I'm using are png, only 88kb each - look nice and crisp but when I use them in the Rise flashcards they are not sized nicely. If it's a full card image, half the slide is cut off, and if its centred, then its too small to read. Also there is a loss of crispness. So ideally what I'd like to know is, for flashcards, should I use use png, jpeg, whatever, and what's the optimum size in pixels and dpi. Any recommendations?

Crystal Horn

Hello, Learning Tech.

The flashcards require a square, 1x1 image. If you click to edit your image, and use the copping tool, you can see that there isn't a way to get a square of that image without losing some of the width. 

You could add some white space to the top and bottom of that image so that it's a square, and then use the edited version instead.