thumbnails don't show when videos are loaded

Mar 20, 2017

When I uploaded a video it just appears black  instead of the thumbnail with the play button. It plays OK but doesn't look very good. How can I get the image to appear instead of the black?

11 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Trish,

How have you inserted the videos into Rise? I took a look at one of my sample Rise courses where I had insert a video as a MP4, and that one is displaying with the first screen of the video behind the play button. I also inserted a YouTube URL video - and that one also showed with the background image. You can take a look at the two options here (the 2nd and 3rd lessons) and let me know how those ones look for you! You'll want to make sure that you're creating and viewing Rise content in a supported browser here. 

If you're still seeing an issue with my course or yours, can you also send me a "Share" link and a copy of the videos you're looking to insert? If they are MP4 (or other video files) you can upload them using the "add attachment" button - otherwise URLs you can drop the link into a response! 

Trish Popel

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your response.

All of my browsers are updated, flash is updated (if that matters) and uploading the video doesn't work.

It did work however when I embedded the code as well as when I used the URL.

I just doesn't want to work when I upload the MP4s.

Share: https://rise.articulate.com/share/Cb2jGmV2QQYsH-bRwkRSVgpaFiZcmC7k

In the Rise presentation under "So where are we in the world" the video that shows the picture was from a url and also worked with the embedded code.

The black video screen below it is the same video using the video upload.

The MP4 video file is too large to attach so I've shared it from my Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/a/ghsd75.ca/file/d/0Bzy-GcO53WxSd3JhaVdlaG5Pb2s/view?usp=sharing

The same thing has happened with every video I have uploaded (there are more under the countries in the STUDENTS section.

If you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Trish Popel

Assistant Marketing and Communications for Dr. Kandace Jordan

Golden Hills School Division No. 75

403-934-5121 ext. 2015

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Trish,

Thanks for sharing that link - I didn't have access to your Google drive file unfortunately! Can you open the permissions on that? 

Since it's just the MP4 files that behave this way, have you tested them outside of Rise to see if it's a part of the video placeholder itself?

Also, just wanted to also give you a heads up that responding via email includes your signature here in ELH. You are welcome to visit the forum discussion and click on the "edit" below your post to remove that information. No worries on our part - just in case you don't want your information publicly! 

Trish Popel

Thanks Ashley,

Here is the link again and you should have access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlfb7koOP84

The videos are good outside of Rise. That's why I thought it was weird.

So the embed in blocks does work and shows the image but not the video upload from blocks just gives the black background with the play button.

thanks!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Trish!

Thanks for sharing the video with us! I noticed the first few frames of the video were black, so I trimmed those frames using Quicktime, and now it seems to be working beautifully in Rise. I added the video file to a sample Rise course here so you can test it out. I also attached the new "trimmed" video so you can add it to your Rise course without having to edit it yourself. :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.