Track via full course completion

Nov 18, 2016

Can anyone explain the functionality behind this? I created a small course that only has one button (that should be optional for the learner to select). However, whether or not I push the button, the course is not marking as complete in our Saba LMS. It shows in the sidebar that the course is 100%, but the LMS isn't recording it. Thanks!

33 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Molly, 

Which SCORM version did you publish with? Did you try at SCORM Cloud as well to confirm if it's an issue within your Rise course or the SABA environment? If you'd like to share a copy of the course with our team we're happy to test there as well. You can upload the SCORM package here or send it privately using the case form here. 

Justin Grenier

That's great info.  Thanks, Molly.

The first thing I noticed is that we’re publishing version 5.1.1 of Rustici’s SCORM Driver and that the version you supplied is 3.9.5.  We've historically shared a custom version of SCORMFunctions.js for Saba customers, so it would be helpful to know of any additional findings.  Thanks again!

Justin Grenier

Happy Friday, Molly!

I wanted to let you know that we have a custom SCORM 1.2 driver for Rise courses in Saba that we'd like you to test for us.  I've created a new support case on your behalf, and you'll be hearing from our team shortly with the specific testing steps.

Looking forward to the results of your test!

Rebecca Mogollon

Hi Justin - I tried the fix on the article you posted, and it doesn't seem to work. The steps I took were: I downloaded the zip you provided, extracted the .js file, extracted my Rise zip, put your .js file into the folder specified, re-zipped up the Rise project, and uploaded it. It still indicates the course was successfully completed, but will not mark the Rise activity complete. Any ideas? Thank you!

Justin Grenier

Hi, Rebecca.  Are you using the Saba LMS?  That custom .js file is intended for Saba customers.

You'll also need to publish for SCORM 1.2 in order to use that file in Saba, and perhaps Molly (or other Saba customers) can weigh in on which of the following Tracking and Reporting options are working best in the Saba LMS:

Completion and Reporting Options

If the problem persists, I'd recommend sharing your zipped, published Rise output with the Saba support team and asking for their best recommendations on this problem.

Molly Brown

Hi Rebecca, this may be a silly question, but did you replace the original .js file with the new one? In your steps above, you said you put the .js file into the folder specified, but I just wanted to confirm that you deleted the original one first and then pasted in the new .js file. 

I haven't published a course using quiz results yet, so I'd have to test that functionality out, but we've had good results with course completion and the custom .js file. 

Thanks,
Molly

Rebecca Mogollon

Yes I overwrote the original .js with the one linked above. And yes I am using Saba. I'm not confident that Saba will be able to help me with this (they can barely handle the issues on their own system). We had planned to buy Rise licenses for our whole team, but without that item being marked complete, I worry Rise may not be an effective solution. Any other possible reasons why it wouldn't work?

Justin Grenier

I'm sorry for the trouble, Rebecca.  The good news is that we love a good challenge, so we're happy to help!

Can you please watch this 6-minute Peek video on how to enable LMS Debug Mode?  This will show us all of the back-and-forth communication between your Rise course and Saba.

Here are step-by-step instructions if you prefer:

1. Download this zip file to your computer and fully extract it (it contains the custom SCORM driver).
  2. Export your Rise course as a SCORM 1.2 LMS package and save it to your computer.
  3. Extract the zip file containing your Rise course, then open the scormdriver folder.
  4. Copy the custom scormdriver.js file from step 1 into the scormdriver folder in step 3 and overwrite the existing file when prompted.
  5. Open the scormdriver.js file in a text editor, such as Notepad.
  6. Find this line of text:
    SHOW_DEBUG_ON_LAUNCH = false;
  7. And change it to:
    SHOW_DEBUG_ON_LAUNCH = true;
  8. Save and close the scormdriver.js file.
  9. Now zip the files for your modified Rise course and upload it to your LMS. (Don't zip the folder that contains your Rise course, just the course files.)
  10. Launch the course from your LMS and reproduce the issue you're troubleshooting. The course will open in one window, while the debug log will open in another.
  11. When you're done, copy and paste the text from the debug window into a document and upload it to this Forum Thread.

I also recognize that these steps are getting a bit lengthy, so if you'd prefer to work one-on-one with a technical support engineer, just say the word and we'll reach out to you privately via email.

We'll look forward to receiving your LMS Debug Log.  Good luck!

Rebecca Mogollon

Hi Justin - I deeply appreciate your time and effort on this! I followed all the steps and it miraculously worked. Just to test, I turned off "show debug mode on start" to FALSE, and this time it did the same thing to me. So I went and uploaded the "Debug True" file back to the course again, tried it again, and it still failed to complete the activity.

Not sure why it is sometimes "Successfully completing" and sometimes not, but the only difference between that file and the next was that the time it worked was when it was the only item in the course OR because it was the first item in the course? Very odd.

Attached is the debug log that I got when it failed the second time I tested it. Thank you so much for your help! The team is very excited about this and I also have Saba looking into it. But their support is nothing compared to you guys.

Justin Grenier

Thanks for your efforts on this, Rebecca.  The LMS Debug Log you attached is just what the doctor ordered.

Is it possible that during your test, you inadvertently exported your course for SCORM 2004 (instead of SCORM 1.2)?  The debug log you shared contains lots of references to SCORM 2004, and the custom Saba driver only works with SCORM 1.2.

Could you try the above steps again after exporting for SCORM 1.2 and let us know your findings?  Thanks!

Chris Moland

Hi Justin.  I published in SCORM 1.2 and I also ran the debug log and mine had a number of references to SCORM 2004 as well.  I used the scormdriver.js from above and followed the steps after I published in 1.2.   My course will not move to completed no matter if it's quiz completion or lesson completion.  I also submitted a support ticket with the debug logs.  Here is the number 01010811.  

The scormdriver.js that you have above has a number of references to SCORM 2004 in the code so that could be why we are seeing it in the debug logs. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rebecca Mogollon

Hi Justin - it's not possible I would have chosen Scorm 2004, but just in case, I did another test. And I actually forgot to replace the scormdriver.js and it seems to be working now. It is possible that Saba has taken a look because of my ticket, and fixed it?  I will keep testing and keep you updated on what they say. Thanks again for your help!! We are in the final stages of solidifying a group licensing price and should be done by tomorrow! We are all very excited!!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.