Translation XLF file question in Rise

Nov 21, 2022

The whole Translation file XLF process is extremely clanky and time consuming at the moment. I generally have to translate up to 20 language of a module.

I have a base finished English module, I then export the XLF that goes for translation.

I then have to duplicate the English one. The duplicated version now becomes the English one and the original has to be tagged as the Source translation file for the next language. ( As it changes languages it can get confusing)

The translated module then goes for proof reading again and has to be checked for any formatting issues and errors, which is common so I have to go through each module again forensically to check for issues ( I wont even go into the nightmare of Arabic, Thai and Indonesian...)

If I export an XLF file, can I then share the English module that the XLF file was exported from, so share it with another Rise user and can they then import the XLF files so I can offload that whole mess? Or is it only possible to import back into the same module it was exported from?

1 Reply
Rebecca Metcalf

Hi Darren, The XLF does need to match the module it was exported from, but if you provide the English module to another Rise user they could then do the duplication of the module for each language. Then once the translation is done they import the XLFs back in. It depends how much you want to outsource to your localization provider. I work in localization and this is how we work with our clients - they hand off the English source course to us and we send back the completed localized courses when everything finished. I hope that helps.