Translations in Rise 360

May 26, 2022

For those of you have translated courses built in Articulate Rise 360 into multiple languages, did you use a particular software to help with the XLIFF file that is exported from Rise to perform the translation or did you send the XLIFF file to a professional translation company? If you utilized a type of software, which one did you use and what did you like about it? I have a course that is developed in Rise in English US and will need to translate to 17 languages. Ideally, the translation needs to be done by in-house translators using the easiest format possible. Handing off an XLIFF file to each of them doesn't seem realistic, so I'm wondering what software you might recommend. #software #translation

12 Replies
Judy Impiccini

To be honest, I'm no longer using it.  It worked out better for some languages such as Spanish and Polish, but was not very good for Asian languages.  Our departmental support in those countries basically had to re-translate a lot of it and it caused a great deal of stress for them. In addition, I didn't find the formatting worked well, and basically had to double-check all the files inside Rise to make sure the line breaks, etc. formatted well.  I did get some of our languages completed with it, but then stopped using it when we were able to use an internal translation team at our company to accomplish the rest.   I will say for the ones that we did complete with Matecat, those course are still in use and I've not had any complaints internally about the translations, but I did have native language speakers at our different offices in those locations review the files and make corrections to the machine translated text.  I would never have gone with the machine translation without native speaker review.  Hope that helps and good luck!

sandra muir

Unless there is something else named Transperfect that is a software, Transperfect (also known as translations.com) is a vendor. Our company uses them. Turnaround is good and they are nice to work with however, we need to save on cost. We use them for compliance-type items, but for eLearnings we decided to sign up with Smartcat and have our internal people review. We just started. It's amazingly quick but it's computer-generated. You do have the option to hire freelancers from their marketplace. We do not have the budget for that but it's a great option. Reviewers can edit in Smartcat too. Clark was our Sales Rep - he was very helpful. Free accounts give you 10,000 words monthly - which is great - but your files don't stay past a certain amount of time.