undo translation

Apr 01, 2021

Hi there,

I am in the process of translating an online course. I have followed the process described here: https://community.articulate.com/series/rise-360/articles/rise-360-translate-your-course. Everything worked as expected.

However, now I would like to "undo" the translation. I figured that re-importing the original xlf file that was originally exported at step 2 would do the trick, however, this seems to have no effect. Can you please advise?

4 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Vale! If you mean to undo the translation and revert to the original language, you should have a duplicate of the course in the original language.

The first step is to Duplicate the course so that you have the original copy in the original language. If you don't have the original, you will need to redo the steps but translate it back to the original language.

Valentina B
Matthew Bibby

You need to export the current translation, add the English alternative, and retranslate it back again. 

Thanks, Matthew. Actually, I tried that, and surprisingly not everything is translated back to the original language. Some stubborn bits and pieces remain in the target language, making everything very confusing for a reviewer.

Valentina B

I do have the duplicate as per step 1, but it does not help in this case. Let me explain: I used machine translation to test that everything is in order. Now, I am working with a translator who is translating lesson by lesson; after each lesson, I am uploading the human-translated content and sending the review link to a reviewer. The problem is that content in lessons that have not yet been started by the translator is filled by machine translation (since my pseudo-translation test), so if the reviewer looks past the review "boundary" then the experience is not pleasant. I want therefore to get the lessons back to the original language.

Renz Sevilla

Hi Vale, thanks for explaining your case. It looks like you introduced content not originally in the course by adding in the manually translated content lesson by lesson. 

My suggestion would be to duplicate the course once more in the original language and copy over the manually translated content there. The steps in the article are for importing XLIFF translations, and if the target and translated content don't match up in the original exported XLIFF, this may be the cause of issues.