Uploading 360 content to Rise

Aug 13, 2017

Hi 

I would be grateful if someone would advise as to whether content created in Articulate 360 can be readily uploaded to Rise?

Thank you

20 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Íde,

There are a couple of ways you can add content from Articulate Review into Rise:

• Copy the Share link from a Storyline or Studio file, and paste it into a Rise Embed/URL lesson or block. 
  • Download Peek screen recordings as a MP4 file, then upload them into a Rise Video lesson or block.

Let me know if that's what you had in mind!

Íde O'Neill

Hi Alyssa

Precisely.  I will be using an LMS to track data so I need to be able to use all formats available i.e.: desktop, tablet, mobile.

I had a look at the Rise video and can see that it's very easy to create a course using Rise.  I have a number of courses that I have already created using SL2 which i am now converting to 360.  I just want to check their appearance using Rise as I am currently using the trial version of 360.

Thanks.

Crystal Horn

Hi Íde!  It sounds like you want your existing courses to function beautifully on any device.

In Storyline 360, your courses will take advantage of improved HTML5 output, which will look great on desktop browsers as well as mobile.  On mobile devices specifically, HTML5 output is launched in the responsive player which automatically adjusts for the device size and orientation.

With Rise, the courses you create have fully responsive content.  The difference is that with Rise, your actual content reflows on the screen depending on the device and orientation.

We are in development on a Storyline block lesson in Rise and hoping to get that released soon.  We'll have more details about how that functions once its fully ready.

How do your Storyline 360 courses look straight out of the LMS on different devices?  Is there anything you'd like to see behave differently?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Íde, 

Like Crystal mentioned, our team is working on a Storyline block lesson that would allow you to embed a Storyline file directly in Rise. In the meantime, I have seen a few folks do it using this iFrame code in a URL/Embed block or lesson:

<iframe src="Insert Your URL to the story.html Here"></iframe>

Prior to embedding Storyline in Rise, you'll want to publish the Storyline file and host it on the web. From your previous comments, it sounds like you intend to host the file in your learning management system. Keep in mind that your learners will likely have to type in their LMS username and password to see the embedded content. 

Let me know if that's what you had in mind!

Íde O'Neill

Hi Ashley / Alyssa

In response to your question, Alyssa, I am using the default player.

Further to your advice, Ashley, I repeated your instructions, as per your very helpful screencast. Unfortunately, the player is too large and does not readily respond to the platform dimensions as suggested in the promotional videos.  

Perhaps I am not doing something correctly and you may have a solution?  This whole exercise seems to be involving an inordinate amount of time and effort and, I would suggest, presupposes a level of technical ability that many, myself included, would not be able to demonstrate.

I have 11 days remaining in my Storyline 360 trial ... maybe I will see a solution which will encourage me?

Thank you

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ide,

When Rise was designed, this wasn't a set up that we saw a lot of people using - but based on the feedback in ELH we are working on a Storyline block for Rise which will work a lot more seamlessly! 

The tutorial Alyssa shared is specific to the Storyline responsive player as a stand alone set up. Your Storyline 2 content can be upgraded to  Storyline 360 and published on it's own to use the responsive player - and doesn't need any connection to Rise.  Take a look at this article on when to use Rise vs. Storyline, that may help clarify some things! 

Also, if you want to talk through your needs and how Articulate 360 would fit, give our Sales team a call! They'd be happy to help. 

Íde O'Neill

Hi Ashley

I have taken a sample scene from SL2 and upgraded to SL360, setting it to Landscape only.  I then published the scene as TinCan ouput and uploaded it to my LMS (LearnDash).  When I open the scene using an Android platform I get a black, empty screen.

However, when I used the iframe approach you suggested  before, it did work but it was displaying the address bar on retry, so the render was not complete.

I have since submitted the case to the support team, for review, and I am awaiting the outcome of that exercise.  I will update the forum on the outcome as soon as I have received notification.

Thanks again for your help.

Íde O'Neill

Hi folks

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem which is still under review by technical support.

Content created in Storyline 360 is not loading correctly to an Android platform, as the address bar is visible and impedes viewing.

If anyone has had the same problem, it would be good to know.

Thanks.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.