url and iframe code

Mar 16, 2017

I will like to suggest that we allow Rise to accept any url or iframe code for those of us that we will be exporting Rise out as a web content to be used in another offline secured software such htmlexe. 

Can anyone suggest how to achieve this in a better way.

29 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Thomas,

Do you have an example of a URL or iFrame that Rise isn't accepting? We use Embedly to embed rich media in Rise courses, which means you can use videos, images, documents and other media from over 400 content providers, such as YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram, and Scribd. See the complete list of supported content providers here.

If you have content from a provider not on that list, could you see if they have steps to create the embed code there instead and use that inside of Rise? 

Let us know how it goes! 

Hi Jacky,

I gave it a try using the Google form embed code, just to see as it's not one of the Google services listed on the Providers page for Embedly, and I got the error message about using a valid iFrame. So instead of embedding it directly, you can insert the link using the Multimedia tab to embed, but it'll open in a new tab or window.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Miryam!

Rise verifies the link when you use the URL/Embed option. If Rise can't see the URL (because it's only accessible from a private network), it's not able to verify it and won't embed it. 

What you're describing sounds like a neat idea though, so you're always welcome to submit the Feature request here. Thanks for being a part of this community!

Donald Kerns

I think the best way for Rise to handle this is to display an error icon or message (e.g., ERROR - Could not validate URL/iFrame provided!) indicating that Rise could not validate the URL/iFrame provided...but then, Rise should accept the fact that the author knows what they are doing and allow them to continue. This will handle situations where the external resource is on an internal server that is inaccessible to Rise and the author is planning to publish the Rise project to another internal web server which will have access to the URL/iFrame. This approach should also be applied in all other pre-built lessons and blocks.

Molly Brown

Ashley, I am trying to use Microsoft Forms and Microsoft is not listed on Embedly's site. When you say "... could you see if they have steps to create the embed code there instead and use that inside of Rise?" What do you mean by that? I have the embed code from Microsoft Forms, but it's not valid per Rise. It's set to be available to anyone with the link, so it's not an access issue ... I don't think. Any ideas?

Hi Molly,

Are you seeing the error message about an invalid embed code? I'd also look at the items here to see if that'll help resolve it.

If you can't use the embed code, have you tried using the URL and inserting that into Rise? That way it may open in a new tab/window if it's not accessible as a part of the Embedly set up. 

Kim Rushbrooke

This post is in response to Alyssa's post 1 year ago.  "..If Rise can't see the URL (because it's only accessible from a private network), it's not able to verify it and won't embed it"....I have just started using RISE and trying to create a link to a 'sharepoint' location, which RISE is not allowing me to do, and judging by the comments previous to this, this will not work in the short term.  I was going to create a PDF anyway but thought if I could use a link to a single point of presence then if that information is updated then RISE will be current.  Looks like a PDF download for now.  Thanks.

Hi JB,

I'm not sure about Jason's code, but I typically put content inside the code like this: 

<iframe src="insert URL here"></iframe>

Also, are you seeing an error message when trying to embed the code? If the embed code is showing as invalid, I'd take a look at the steps here.

Or, are you seeing the content show up as missing or blank? Rise uses secure https, embedded content must also use https to work properly. Make sure the source URL for your content starts with https—assuming the website that hosts your content supports it.

If your URL starts with https and your embedded content is still missing in Rise, test the URL in this security checker. Sometimes the hosting site is secure but the content itself isn't. The security checker will let you know.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.