Use a Rise course as "Interactive Help"

Aug 15, 2018

Is anyone using Rise to create an interactive Reference or support site? This is a different use case than a course served up and tracked by an LMS.

Here's the use case: My company creates complex ERP-like SaaS software, and our Product Managers are looking for a way to support end users with "Interactive Help" where they can easily find explanations, how-to videos, detailed process steps, answers they can search through, a labeled graphic of a page in the application to learn the UI, maybe a glossary ... all wrapped up in a modern user experience. 

So I immediately thought of a Rise course which they could access as a link from inside our software and will pop-up or appear in a separate browser.  Are there examples of this use case that anyone would be willing to share?

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Matt,

What an interesting idea! I've seen Rise used for so many different projects and situations, and although I can't think of an example that matches your needs, this sounds like a great fit too.  

I'll reach out to a few teammates and see if they've come across something similar to share with you here. 

Broderick Lemke

We used to have a lot of our company's documentation on a wiki site and I am in the process of moving it all to a RISE course. It has the ability to upload docs, can be edited by multiple team members, and we just use it ourselves in review so we don't have to publish it anywhere. It's working out pretty well, and the linear nature of rise is a bit frustrating, but good navigation with sections on the home page and the search feature have really cleared that up for us! Since it has company info on it, I can't share, but I do want to say it has been working really well! We are a small team, however, so any questions can come directly to me about the site which is useful. I'm not sure how that would work with a larger company.  

Kristen Schmidt

I can't share my page, but I have used this twice to support new Oracle product rollouts at our organization. We've had a lot of positive results with incorporating this directly into the software as a full, custom Help page. With the latest rollout we included" interactive screen shots" by using labeled graphics within the steps. I have not used any storyline blocks or videos in the pages since the steps with the interactive screen shots were enough to help users, plus the product itself is fairly intuitive. 

We also link directly to certain pages within our All Employee Communications and recently started posting the full communication within the Help page and linking to it from the All Employee email; therefore, driving even more traffic to the Help page. 

Michael Fimian

Hey Matt... If your main presentation is being done in SL3 or 360, you can create a "web object" and place your help session a la Rise in that...  Or, and I've never tried this, you could get the Review link for the Help file in a new Resources tab.  I would imagine that the end result would be to open the file in a new tab... Another possibility is to try an iFrame code with the URL in the Resources tab;  that may just open a window...

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.