Video Closed Captions stopped showing Rise

Nov 17, 2018

I have video with closed caption that played in Rise. All of a sudden the videos still play but now none of the Closed Captions show in in any of the videos. The Closed Captions still show when playing outside of Rise. Any idea why I am unable to view the Closed Captions in Rise?

20 Replies
Eileen Fernandez-Parker

I'm having the same issue.  I had captions embedded, but they weren't playing, and there was no CC box on the video. 

So I also uploaded a VTT file.  Now, I have the CC box, and it shows Captions OFF and English CC.  I don't know what to do to get the captions to start.  When I click on Captions OFF it changes from a white to a black background.  No captions appear in either status.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Eileen

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Eileen! You should see an option for the language of the closed captions when you click the CC button. Click the language, and the captions should appear:

Let me know if that option isn't working for you! You can share a link to your course in your reply, or connect with us privately by clicking here.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Eileen! A VTT file is a special type of file generated by third-party captioning services, such as YouTube, Amara, and 3PlayMedia. 

You can create a .vtt file in a snap by uploading your video to YouTube and using their automatic captioning feature (this works on private and public videos). Once captions have been generated, export the .vtt file. Keep in mind that automatic captions are created by machine algorithms and may not be as accurate as a professional captioning service. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Eileen!

I was able to get your VTT file to work in Rise 360 by making a few adjustments:

1. Delete the numeral above each time code (shown below in red)
  2. Replace the commas in each time code with a period (shown below in blue)

After making those changes, the VTT file should look like this:

The file I attached includes updates for the first 4 captions. Try uploading this to your Rise video and let me know if you can see the first 4 captions correctly. You'll want to continue those changes for the remaining captions in that file. 

Karen Parker-Peters

Hi, I'm also having an issue with closed captioning showing in Rise. I used Storyline to create the captioning, exported the cc file from Storyline, then uploaded the file to the video in Rise. The cc doesn't show when playing the video.

I don't want to use a Storyline block since if I set it to medium or full width, the quality isn't as crisp as an mp4. 

Thanks for your help!

Renz Sevilla

Hi Karen! Thanks for reaching out!

Is there a CC button in the video player when you try to view the video? If there is, are you able to select a language for the captions to appear?

If you don't see this and are still having trouble, please send us a copy of your Rise 360 course and a copy of the VTT file by submitting a case here. Our support engineers are standing by to assist!

Lindsay Palazzi

Hello,

I am working with Rise closed captioning and once I embed the .vtt file, the language option "English" only displays with a lower case "e."  Any ideas on how to fix this? We've checked the vtt file name but it doesn't seem related. When we select "English" from the language drop-down, it is an upper case "E" there. We've checked the labels but don't see anything there either.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a setting we're missing? Thanks!

Orel Federman
Hazel Bartolome

Hi Lindsay! I see case 03092370 open.  Philam, one of our technical support engineers has emailed you back with instructions on how to share your Rise course so that we can troubleshoot. Please reply back to him via email. 

Hello,

I have the same issue of the word English appearing in lower case in the cc list. Please help

Mike Reynolds

Hi all. I just submitted the case below which seems to be a similar issue to the ones above:

Case # 03689676 Submitted 6_6_2023

What exactly is not working?

• Although the Player controls were set up to include Closed Captions (CC), my StoryLine Course Frame doesn’t include the CC option during Preview of the slides in the scene.

What were you doing with the software before you experienced the problem?

• I successfully created 6 other short StoryLine courses using the same Player settings (which were saved) where the CC option displays perfectly in the Frame and delivers the CC verbiage based upon the text I input to the slide Notes.
    • For some reason, the last 2 short Storyline courses I created won’t display the CC option in the Player Frame even though I’m using the same Player settings and have text in the Notes section of each slide (that I’m also using for Text-to-Speech successfully).

What have you tried so far to fix the issue?

• I have deleted and re-applied the Player settings.
    • I have checked the Notes on every slide to ensure there is text and that they don’t start off with a blank space.
    • I have deselected, then re-selected CC in the Player Controls, confirmed that the Player shows the CC icon. But when I then PREVIEW the slides, the CC icon has disappeared from the Player frame.

Where are you saving your file?

• I Publish a “new version of an existing course” and also Publish/save a copy locally on my laptop.

What operating system and browser are you using?

• Chrome
  • Are you noticing this problem only in this specific project? Or does it happen in new files as well?
    • It is happening on the last two short courses I created with Storyline and curiously it didn’t happen on the previous 6-courses I created the same way.

Regina Kirby

Hi - I am experiencing a similar issue. I have 10+ lessons in my Rise course with each containing a Storyline file (one slide with mp4 video and closed captioning imported into the Storyline slide). The trigger/variable setting for each of these Storyline files is set to 'display captions when timeline starts on the slide').  When checking the course using Rise review, all the videos in each of the lessons are displaying the closed captions automatically.  However, when we publish the course to our LMS, some users taking the Rise course experience random success with seeing the closed captions. Some of the videos are showing the closed captions but some are not) and for those videos that do not display the closed captions, no cc icon displays for the users to select them either.  The work around is that the user must return to the previous lesson, then come back to the lesson they were on, which seems to refresh the display of the closed captions.  Help!

Lea Agato

Hi Regina,

Thanks for providing a detailed description of the issue you're seeing. Based on what you shared, it sounds like the issue happens with your published Rise courses that you've uploaded in your LMS, but not when you view your courses using Review 360.

Kindly try the following and check if the issue persists:

1. Use a different browser to open your course
  2. Use incognito/private browsing mode.
  3. Clear your browser cache.

If the issue persists, you can also try testing your course in SCORM Cloud. If the closed captions are working correctly when your course is hosted in SCORM Cloud, I suggest reaching out to your LMS admin as this could likely be an LMS issue.