Video in storyline block has no sound when published to web

Jun 29, 2018

I have a video which I put on a slide in SL360, and inserted zoom regions and shapes, then published to review and inserted as a storyline block in Rise.

When I watch in Review or Rise, everything is fine. When I watch the published output in IE11, the video has no sound. Any ideas?

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Christina!

I have a few questions that'll help me get to the bottom of this:

• What version of Storyline did you use to publish the video slide? To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.17.16188.0 in the bottom-right corner.
  • When you published the Rise content, did you publish for Web, LMS, or something else?
  • Where is the published content hosted? 
Christina Clark

I think I have sorted it but just to answer your questions in case it's useful for others:

I have the version of SL you mention above.

I published for Web from Rise.

Unzipped and folder copied to our Sharepoint.

So I have solved the problem (I think) by changing the publish options to Flash only. Problem with that is that I then can't view the content in Review (and neither can my stakeholders) so publishing as Flash with HTML5 fallback is working too. Problem is, because I don't really understand all the permutations of video formats, codecs, browser settings etc, I have no idea if I'm setting myself up for a fall later down the line!

What I find interesting is that any MP4s I have directly uploaded to Rise projects play just fine in both Chrome and IE once published to web on our sharepoint. It's only when I have inserted an MP4 into a SL slide and published it to Articulate 360 so I can use it as a storyline block in Rise and then published THAT to web that I lose the audio, so presumably Storyline is doing something to it during the upload.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Christina,

It sounds like it's only the Rise/IE11 combo that's causing you trouble and if the Storyline block is only working while viewing in Flash, I wonder if your Sharepoint server is having difficulty accessing all pieces of the HTML5 content? 

Since you mentioned that the Review version with HTML5 first or fallback is working, that's a good sign that Storyline + Rise are working while together. 

If you're able to share a copy of the export here, I'm happy to test it too. Or you could look at testing in another environment such as Amazon S3 for web content or SCORM Cloud for an LMS export. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.