Videos are not playing in Rise

Feb 20, 2018

I created a Rise course with Replay videos and they play fine for me but when I share the link with others they "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported".  The network did not fail.  This is my first attempt at creating a Rise course, I found it very easy but now people cannot watch it!

I have to use Google Chrome to develop my course because the videos take forever to upload if I use IE 11.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/cf6YhUDHgUodOeapj49BpR9y4u2cdHMI

33 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Trish, thanks for including the Share link!

The videos played beautifully for me--sorry to hear other folks are having a tough time with them!

Do you happen to know if they were using a desktop or mobile device to view your content? Also, do you know what web browser they were using?

Any details you can offer would be helpful!

Danielle Podesta

Hello, same issue for my course where I inserted an mp4 video. One of our employees received the same error message as Trish had when trying to play the video in Internet Explorer.  It worked fine for them in Chrome but would not play in I.E.  Both play fine for me. Any suggestions, or feedback as to why this is happening would be appreciated. Thanks!

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Matthew and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you ran into a similar issue. We do not have a standard listing of settings to share, but as Alyssa shared above we'd be happy to take a look if needed.

Are there particular items that are not displaying for some of the learners? I assume you are unable to replicate, similar to what Danielle shared above.

Matthew Elston

Correct - I'm unable to replicate on my end. So far, our testing has shown that some (not all) of our Dealer locations are unable to view .mp4 or .wmv files that have been uploaded into our test course (which is hosted on our LMS).

All of our Dealer locations are contractually required to have Internet Explorer installed, and all should be running IE 11 and using that to access their web-based training courses.They may have other browsers installed, but IE is required.

That said, some may be running different releases of IE 11 (for example, I'm using IE 11.0.96 and the videos play correctly for me, but one location that is unable to view the videos is running IE 11.228).

I can only provide a link to the test course that we developed because it contains no proprietary information: https://rise.articulate.com/share/EpIrjPnp04HE2D5z6WESFrk3de_Dcp58

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Matthew,

Thanks for sharing the link! Several of my teammates tested the course in Internet Explorer 11, and the videos played correctly in all of our tests.

Since you mentioned IE11 version 11.228, here's a screen recording of my testing in that version.

You mentioned that the course is hosted on an LMS. When you hear reports of locations that cannot view the videos, have you tried sending them the Rise Share link to see if the same problem happens outside of the LMS?

Michael Kennis

Hi Crystal,

Thank you so much for getting back to me.. Yes I just tried the video again and this is the message I am getting.

I am getting concerned that it's not going to work even when I upload it into our LMS.

Can you help ?

Many thanks.

[cid:image001.png@01D58B0C.0D6A8210]

Michael Kennis
Head of Learning and Development
People and Culture
[Kennards Hire since 1948]
T +61 2 8824 2236 M +61 447 800 273
E MichaelKennis@kennards.com.au
A Unit 1, Building I, 22 Powers Road, Seven Hills NSW 2147

[Kennards Website] [Kennards Facebook] [Kennards Youtube] [Kennards Blog] [Kennards LinkedIn]

[Kennards Hire]

Karen McLeod

Hello...I am an Instructional Designer at American Airlines. We are having the same problem. Some departments have stopped using videos because of this. Because of this problem and because there seems to be no resolution, I am going to recommend that we no longer use videos. You can import the video into StoryLine but the user will not be able to make the video full screen as StoryLine does not provide the controls to do so due to its primary function to keep screen size appearance in various playback equipment (computer vs. tablet vs. phone).  A couple of recommendations for our team...Stop using Rise for videos and go back to just entering the videos in LMS or look for another type of software to create training similar to Rise. It is a shame because when it works, it's beautiful. I can tell you I  have had success re-recording videos in SnagIt and putting them in Rise and they would play in IE when loaded in LMS. But that did not work this time. After spending hours developing a course in Rise and adding 10 to 11 video clips to introduce new hires to a very necessary skill, I find myself up against a ridiculous deadline....because the software is not working with our LMS...and I am unable to determine a work around. So frustrating. 

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Karen. Thank you for sharing in the community. We have noticed some common factors in exported output that is showing this error when playing videos from an LMS. I'm sorry this behavior is causing such a shift in development for you.

If you have an example that you can share with us, we'd like to have a closer look! You can privately share your video file and zipped output with us here. We'll delete everything when we're done troubleshooting.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Louise. It sounds like the video block in your Rise 360 course isn't working when you publish your course to Review 360.

Can you try deleting and re-adding your video block again to your course, and then publishing a new version to Review 360?

If that doesn't work, we'd like to have a look at your video file with your permission. You can share it privately with us here and reference this discussion!

Darren McNeill

I have just sent a Rise module for upload yesterday to the LMS and only 1 video is showing the error on all browsers out of 4. Not sure what to do... The video in question is an MP4 video the same as the others, plays fine when previewed in Rise and also in Review but uploading the LMS throws the errors for that one video.

Alyssa Gomez

Sorry you're running into that error, Darren!

Can you try deleting and re-adding that video block again to your course, and then publishing a new version of the LMS output file?

If that doesn't work, we'd like to have a look at your video file with your permission. You can share it privately with us here and reference this discussion!

Will Nowell

New RISE 360 user here, i'm hoping someone can help me with embedded videos/content. I have embedded two videos from YouTube and a CDC PDF from their website.

When I publish to Review 360, they play perfectly. But when I publish the content using the HTML options, the videos do not play. Is there a reason this is happening?

Transversely, when I package to SCORM the videos and PDF work fine. I really need the HTML package to work because we are sending content to furloughed teammates and they don't have access to our LMS at the moment.   

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Will. We're seeing an issue in Rise 360 right now where embedded web content isn't working correctly. You can read more about that on our Status Page

In the meantime, try embedding the video using an iframe code like this one, and it should work perfectly:

<iframe src="URL"></iframe>

Let me know how it goes!