We need better caption options for videos in RISE

Jun 06, 2018

• Storyline 360 has a feature to import caption files associated with movies. When you playback this slide in coursework, there is a caption button that appears to toggle the captioning on/off. Love it. Great feature. Accessibility FOR THE WIN!!!
  • We love the RISE interface, but find it frustrating there is no option for captioning toggle on/off in the video player. You can't upload caption files to videos you upload. Why not guys? This would be ideal!!!
  • In order to have captions on videos I have discovered a few workarounds, but none are as good as the playback and user experience Storyline 360 provides.
    • Import a Storyline 360 slide into your RISE project as a Block, and that slide you import is a video with the captioning feature applied (as described in bullet point 1).
      • Quality isn't as good, timelines falls out of sync, user can navigate to next lesson as soon as the video is initially clicked. 
    • Use the tab feature in RISE and have one tab be an upload of your video without captions, another tab with a video with captions. 
      • No longer have the option to prevent the user from skipping in the timeline of the video
      • Have to upload an opened caption version of your video (video with captions burned in, not toggle on/off) which is adds to the production timeline of a project.
    • Embed a video in your project from YouTube or another source. Set it up in YouTube the way you want it (captions loaded and toggle on/off option).
      • Some LMSs don't allow embedded media to play back on their systems, not making this an option for some places we deploy our learning solutions.
      • You now are using a 3rd party video player, and no matter how much embed coding you can do, there is still an option to click somewhere on that video player and launch to that company's website instead. For example, I can strip a lot of the extraneous features of a YouTube video away when I embed, but I can't prevent the YouTube logo and users can click on that to launch to YouTube and away from our learning content. 

Does the community have any better suggestions to recreate a video upload in RISE with caption toggle on/off?

Be the first to reply

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.