What is going on? Why did rise stop allowing for iframe imbeds?

Jan 25, 2019

Hi.... All my rise lessons now won't show when embedded in an iframe? what is going on? This just happened in under 24 hrs... The content is live when directly accessed....
students now see
rise.articulate.com refused to connect.

5 Replies
David Wrede

Old content works when embedded... this is when packaged and put into s3...
https://s3.amazonaws.com/content.memsql.com/courses/content/index.html#/?_k=rlh226

but new content ALL of sudden now no longer supports imbedding into iframes. As of January 24 around 5 pm. WTF

As a company, Articulate needs to let customers know that they are deprecating support for iframes proactively. These type of changes without notice are unacceptable.

David Wrede

https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Version-History

there is nothing about deprecating embedded iframe support for rise content. Many folks use LMS's that allow for embedding third party content via a iframe. 

The direct link, which works,  is https://rise.articulate.com/share/yaV8vIMq9uuB2Mc6RFhEfoZz_xxMV7dw#/

See the attached test.html defines a iframe in the html.
<iframe frameborder="none" src="https://rise.articulate.com/share/yaV8vIMq9uuB2Mc6RFhEfoZz_xxMV7dw#/"></iframe>

I have hundreds of course that reference rise content via iframes.

Justin Grenier

Hi, Seth.

We recently made a change to our Rise 360 infrastructure to improve user security. This change prevents malicious actors from impersonating Rise content when it’s used in an iframe. This change also prevents users from embedding Rise content using the Rise share link. I’m sorry that this impacted your content.

The Rise share link is not meant as a long-term web hosting solution. You can find more info about this in the Articulate 360 Terms of Service. When you’re ready to share a Rise course with learners, you’ll need to publish your course for web or a learning management system (LMS).

For now, we’ve reverted this change, so your embedded content will work. We’ll reinstate this security enhancement soon, so you’ll need to find a different way to share your content.

We’ll give you a heads-up before we re-implement the change permanently.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

David Wrede

Ugh, a disappointing response.
Here's why.
1) Technically inaccurate
2) No timeline provided for when a change will be made again.
3) No specific reference to the TOS about these types of changes.
4) No solution for how to make rise content support iframes by adding some custom  javascript or modifying javascript to the published package.

1) Technically inaccurate
I published this a WEB content to confirm the behavior. The change affected the WEB published content. So it's not a "hosting or infrastructure" change, but a framework change. The WEB published content also did not support iframes.

Recommendation: Give users the ability to publish to WEB with iframe embed support so that rise content (however published) can exists within the LMS course player via iframes. 

2) Timeline
There was no timeline given or announcement about making the change when this is a common use case of customers. More importantly, where is the timeline for when the change will be reverted back? How can we plan to make changes without a timeline?

Recommendation: Please provide a timeline and proactively communicate with customers.

3) TOS reference
Where in the TOS please?!?  That type of communication comes across as being insincere and purposely constructed to blame the customer for not being a TOS expert that understands the context for terms such as data processor, data subject, and data importer.

Recommendation: Please point out the specific section of TOS rather than say 'it's in the TOS' and spell it out in way where we don't need be a contract attorney. 

4) Solution to my problem please
Partner with your customers. Give them a solution to this critical problem.

Recommendation: If rise is not going to support being embedded in iframes, then share with your customers how to add or modify the react.js code for a published course so that the web published course can support iframes. 

Justin Grenier

Thanks for the candid feedback, Seth.

The change we made does not affect courses published for web and used in an iframe. Here’s a quick example of a Rise course that has been published for Web and then embedded in an iframe. I’ve created a Support Case on your behalf so that we can help you troubleshoot why this isn’t working for you.

We wanted to revert the change and communicate swiftly today, and we’ll communicate future plans with enough lead time to move content.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.