Will Rise ever be a primary authoring tool?

Apr 27, 2020

I’ve developed courses in both Storyline and Rise for a number of years and find myself wanting a tool that lands in the middle of the two.   I want a simple interface with quickly accessible layouts and widgets to display content AND customizability to make things a bit more intuitive for learners.

I realize Storyline and Rise are two entirely different animals, but Rise is definitely the way to go for rapid development and hassle free delivery across all devices.  

My question and thoughts are: will we ever see more extensive features come to Rise? Are you using it as a primary authoring tool? 
I can build instructional modules just fine, but testing and assessment features need some attention IMO.  

How have you all created tests that display an exit button near the final score? Can addition instructions be displayed after taking a test?

3 Replies
Karl Muller

We use Rise as our primary authoring tool. While we have inserted a few Storyline blocks in our Rise courses, Storyline development is too time intensive considering the volume of work we have to do and we are just a small team.

Yes, testing and assessment features need a lot of attention, and we need more interaction types, such as being able to sort cards with images, click on parts of an image as a part of an answer, etc.

We use a lot of Quizzes, and it's not possible to provide instructions a a part of completing the quiz (within the quiz itself). We've never had an issue with even one student not knowing what to do after completing a quiz. We have a single EXIT COURSE link in the top right-hand corner of the browser window.

I think the primary reason for a lack on confusion is because we have a compulsory but very short course that teaches our learners how we have set up our courses, how to navigate the course, and how you know when you have completed and mastered the course.

Anthony Goss

Hi, Michael and Karl!  I agree completely with this sentiment.  The assessment/quizzing features are lack luster and need more enhancement.  We need native hotspot questions, drag and drop questions with images, the ability to duplicate questions, the ability to add any media inside the question and answer choices (audio/video), and question banks.  I also agree that additional interactions would be nice or at least some enhancements to the existing ones.  For example, adding images/audio to sorting blocks would be useful as well as more interactive features in the flashcards.  I have submitted all of these as feature requests, but I keep being told that these are not on the immediate roadmap.

Terry Bell

I was asked to do a sample course in Rise, and I regret doing it. The bosses like the look, but I do not like developing in Rise at all.

It's missing so many tools that I use every day (shapes, hotspots, format copy, search/replace, custom color palettes).

Also organization looks like it will be terrible - I only have a handful of courses so far that I've been playing with, and I can imagine a larger number of courses will be so cluttered, especially when you can't move courses that you don't own.

The workaround they have for centering images in tabs and accordions is to use an image editor to add whitespace on either side (they're forced to be left aligned). No image editing - not even crop or add a border.

I think it has its place, but it will not be my primary tool unless there are very big changes.  

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.