Articulate Quizmaker makes it easy to publish and upload standalone quizzes to Articulate Online all at once. (If you need to incorporate your quiz into an Articulate Presenter course first, click here.)
Step 1: Enter the Title and Description
- On the Home tab of the Quizmaker ribbon, click Publish. (Or, from any other tab on the ribbon, click the small triangle under the Preview button and choose Publish.)
- When the Publish window appears, select Articulate Online on the left.
- Check the text that appears in the Title field, and customize it if you like. This text defaults to the name of your Quizmaker file. If you change it, it'll change the title text that Quizmaker uses in the following places (but it won't change your actual file name):
- The title of your content as it appears in Articulate Online's content list.
- The browser title bar, when learners view your published quiz in a browser window.
- The top bar of your quiz player, if you've opted to include the title as one of the player features.
- If you publish your content for the Articulate Mobile Player app, the quiz title is also used on the HTML launch page and the list of content names in the Articulate Mobile Player library.
- In the Description field, enter descriptive text about your quiz. If you enter a description, it’ll be used in the following places:
- When you manage your content in Articulate Online, the description will appear with the quiz title.
- The description will appear to learners who access your content through Articulate Online's user portal, if you chose to enable it. (You can learn more about the user portal and other options for giving users access to your content in this tutorial.)
- If you publish your content for use with the Articulate Mobile Player, the description is also used on the launch page, and it appears below the quiz thumbnail in the Articulate Mobile Player library.
Step 2: Enter Additional Project Info for the Articulate Mobile Player (Optional)
If learners use the Articulate Mobile Player, you can add more information by clicking the ellipsis button (...) next to the Title field on the Publish window. The following Project Info window appears.
- The Title and Description are the same as what you entered on the Publish window; change the text here if you'd like.
- When learners browse content in their Articulate Mobile Player library, the thumbnail below the Title field will appear for this quiz. By default, Quizmaker uses an image of the first slide in your quiz, but you can choose a different image. Just click the blue slide title text. Then either select a different quiz slide, or click Picture from File and choose an image.
- Author, Email, Website, Duration, Date, and Version appear on the content information cards in the Articulate Mobile Player library.
- Identifier applies only to content published for LMS.
- Keywords aren't currently used. They'll be used in a future version of the Articulate Mobile Player app.
When you're finished customizing the project information, click OK to return to the Publish window.
Step 3: Choose HTML5 and/or Mobile Publishing (Optional)
If learners use mobile devices that doesn't support Flash, mark the following options to make your quiz viewable in HTML5, the Articulate Mobile Player, or both.
- Include HTML5 output: This prepares your quiz so that it's viewable as HTML5 content if a learner doesn't have the Flash Player and they view your quiz in an HTML5-compatible browser. Keep in mind that not all browsers handle HTML5 content equally. This article identifies which browsers your learners should use if they need to view your quiz as HTML5 content.
- Use Articulate Mobile Player for iOS or Android: This prepares your quiz so that learners have the best possible viewing experience on iPads and Android devices. If you mark this option, learners will view the content in the Articulate Mobile Player app, which they'll be prompted to install if they don't already have it.
- Allow downloading for offline viewing: This box is currently ignored when you publish to Articulate Online, since learners need to be online in order for the quiz to send tracking data to your account. (A future version of the Articulate Mobile Player may support offline viewing; at that time, this setting will be honored for quizzes you previously published.)
Step 4: Check Player Properties and Quality Settings
The Properties section of the Publish window is where you make last-minute changes to your quiz player or the compression settings Quizmaker uses when publishing.
- The Player field shows the name of the player that Quizmaker will use when you publish. (The player is the interface that users see when they view your quiz, and it can include things like player controls, the question list, and other features.) Click the player name to make adjustments or switch to a different player. If you need help choosing your player settings, see this tutorial
- The Quality field lets you control the compression settings Quizmaker uses for audio, video, and pictures you've added to your quiz. The settings here default to whatever you used the last time you published a Quizmaker project. To change the quality settings, click the blue text and change any of the fields as noted below, then click OK.
- Choose Standard if you want to use the default settings. If you mark this option, the values on the window revert back to their defaults (video quality of 5, audio bitrate of 48kbps, and image quality of 80%).
- Choose Custom if you want to define your own quality settings. Then click and drag the slider on any of the three values to change the compression. Using higher values gives you higher-quality output, but larger file sizes (which means longer download times). Lower values give you smaller file sizes and faster download times, but the visual and audio quality will be lower.
Step 5: Choose Your Tracking and Reporting Preferences
In the Properties section of the Publish window, click the Reporting field to open the following window, where you can choose options for the way Articulate Online tracks and reports learners' progress:
- Report status to AO lets you choose the wording that Articulate Online uses in reports when expressing learners' status. Use the selector to choose one of the four options available.
Communicate resume data lets you choose how Articulate Online handles resume data if you've enabled the resume feature in your player.
- On Course Complete: With this option, the quiz communicates resume data when the learner closes the browser window in which they're viewing your quiz, or when they reach the result slide.
- After Every Slide: With this option, the quiz sends resume data each time the learner advances to another slide in the quiz. If you choose this option, and if you've enabled the resume feature on your player, then learners who experience an Internet disruption while taking your quiz will be able to pick up where they left off when they relaunch the quiz. Keep in mind that because this option results in frequent communication between your quiz and Articulate Online, it does increase network traffic, which can become significant if you roll out your quiz simultaneously to many learners.
- Click OK.
Step 6: Enter Your Articulate Online Credentials and Publish
- For your Account information, enter your Articulate Online credentials. Type your Account URL, your Email address, and your Password. (You'll need to be an administrator or publisher on your account in order to publish content.) If you want Quizmaker to remember your password for the next time you publish, you can mark Save my password.
- Click Publish.
Your content gets published and uploaded to Articulate Online all at once. How fast this happens depends on the size of your quiz and your Internet connection speed. When the Publish Successful dialog appears, click Manage Content to open Articulate Online and manage the quiz you just uploaded.
Tip: If a corporate firewall prohibits you from publishing automatically to Articulate Online, you can publish your quiz locally then manually upload it to Articulate Online later. To learn how to publish for manual upload to Articulate Online, see this tutorial.
Step 7: Distribute Your Published Quiz
When you give learners access to your Articulate Online content and they launch it, they'll see the right type of content based on the device and browser they're using.
- Learners will see the Flash version of your quiz if their browsers support it.
- If learners are using iPads or Android devices and you selected the Articulate Mobile Player option when you published, the quiz will launch in the app. (If they don't have the app installed, they'll be prompted to install it.)
- If learners are using iPads and you didn't select the Articulate Mobile Player option when you published, but you did select HTML5, the HTML5 output will launch in mobile Safari.
- If learners are using a browser without Flash and you marked the HTML5 option, they'll see the HTML5 output. (Click here for a list of supported HTML5 browsers.)